Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

sorry if this has been previously reported, seems like they are about to close one of the unlicensed fields in Scotland to park trucks.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/15/kent-lorry-park-to-miss-brexit-day-deadline

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Seems to be the case near my homebase as well (I am based at Stapleford but I also regularly fly & instruct at North Weald), at the moment they are using only one side of the airfield as “truck customs processing facility”, in another hit, it already lost the cross-runway due to police hangar, the good news at least we will have customs at EGSX post-prexit and with police operating at night we may have night hours openings (or at least runway light if I land in dodgy hours rather than tight 600m in Stapleford or divert to Southend/Esltree )

https://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/secretary-of-state-approves-north-weald-customs-facility/

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Dec 10:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

seems like they are about to close one of the unlicensed fields in Scotland to park trucks.

This project will be rather good news if it goes ahead. In effect, the decent (i.e usable by prissy aeroplanes) part of the hard runway will be widened and extended significantly, leaving a much improved surface once the trucks have gone elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I suspect that aviation of some sort will continue at CK – there’s plenty of room on site and Jamie’s very fond of GA.

It remains to be seen how much congestion there will be at Cairnryan and on the (mostly single carriageway) A75 from Gretna. I suspect that life could be nasty, brutish and short for any personnel operating any kind of “border” on either side of the north channel, but Ulster will therefore be such a gaping hole in the EU’s border that it’s bound to attract freight from the Anglesey-Dublin route.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Just received an email from one of my former clubs. Their insurer Allianz changed its mind and wrote them their policy is not limited to the enforcement of the covid regulations, thence all flights, including dual instruction are covered.

Hopefully all the insurance industry will follow.
That’s their Christmas present I suppose !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 23 Dec 08:28
LFOU, France

The FAA is OK with the now US approved Moderna vaccine also, with the same 48hr wait after vaccination – here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Inverness EGPE Notam.
Q) EGPX/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5733N00403W005
B) FROM: 20/12/23 07:24C) TO: 21/01/16 21:30
E) COVID-19: FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
1. OUT OF HOURS MOVEMENTS WILL BE SUSPENDED, UNLESS AN EMERGENCY/MEDICAL RELATED FLIGHT
2. GENERAL AND BUSINESS AVIATION OPERATIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED BETWEEN INVERNESS AND THE REST OF THE UK
3. LIMITED GENERAL AVIATION OPERATIONS ARE PERMITTED, UNDER STRICT PRIOR PERMISSION REQUIRED (PPR) REQUIREMENTS. FLIGHTS SHOULD LAND AT THE SAME AIRFIELD FROM WHICH THEY DEPARTED AND UNLESS PRIOR APPROVAL IS GRANTED BY THE APM OR HO, GA FLIGHTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FROM ANY OTHER AIRPORT
4. GA FLIGHTS FOR MAINTENANCE CHECKS, FERRY, AND ENGINE HEALTH UNDER COVID-19 REMAIN A PERMISSIBLE OPERATION, WHEN THERE IS AN URGENT REQUIREMENT TO DO SO

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 25 Dec 21:03
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I thought the title was
BREXIT: FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS

LFOU, France

That looks a fairly standard notam for what they today call Tier 4 i.e. “essential travel” only, can look after your engine (i.e. fly but not often enough to p1ss off those stuck in their garden parties in -5C and +SN).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yesterday I bothered to re-read the entirety of Covid-19 rules and regulations as applicable to my home state of Lower Saxony (they get changed every few weeks, hence “re-read”) and I did not find one mention of aviation. Interestingly, driving instruction is explicitly allowed (with masks), but since the rules only speak of Fahrzeug (= ground vehicle), this does not explicitly extend to flight instruction. However, since aviation is not mentioned at all, one could argue that legally speaking, flight instruction may even continue without masks.

At my homebase, operations continued as normal for pretty much the entire year, except for a few weeks in March (though the airport was never closed, IIRC)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Inverness Flying School is closed till 16/1. It’s my only source of Avgas as I don’t have a BP card.
Tank is full, I’ve 40L in cans, and I can use mogas.
I’ll need a flight test after fixing the fault Silvaire spotted, but I’ll wait for good weather.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message