Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Close the schools for normal operation, do home schooling via remote access. Offer care within the school buildings for those kids who can not stay at home. This worked quite well in spring.

Home tele-schooling worked for you?

I got quite upset about this at the time and am glad kids are staying at school in France this time around. My Daughter will benifit, even if my son having just started further education, will again get shafted…

Teachers were fully paid the whole time here last school year. My son was at Lycee (16-18s) and out of 8 teachers 3-4 regularly sent him assignments and marked them. 1 sent a single Email at the beginning saying what he should read/learn then the Govt decided to give the kids their Bac (A levels) based on the 1st terms work/testing. Zip from the rest. From what I gather the work he was sent by those teachers doing their job was half what he would usually expect to do and this was repeated for his year regardless of subjects according to his friends – in my view once the Bac announcement was made, that year basically went on holiday early… My daughter at College (11-15s) fared better, out of 10 teachers 6 regularly sent assignments and marked stuff, a couple of teachers actually used skype/zoom and had regular classes online, a couple sent stuff occasionally and unfortunately nothing from a couple of them, though it was still less actual schooling than being there…

When the kids were allowed back to school for the last few weeks of term here, my Ex-wife wouldnt let my Daughter go back and she continued doing assignments from home. My Son REALLY wanted to go into Lycee if only to see his friends again, but apparently only half of his teachers turned up and he had only half as many classes with about 50% attendance, and anyway it was only two weeks or so for him IIRC before the “Exam time” which of course they didnt do…

Edit to Add: If you hadnt guessed – Im still pretty disgusted by what happened.

Not sure yet if my son will have any kind of classes next week. If they doesnt have classes Im going to attempt to claim back some of the fees I paid for him, I have no idea if this will be possible.

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 30 Oct 13:28

Malibuflyer wrote:

Yes, there is good evidence: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30352-0/fulltext

I’ve read through this but don’t really see any good evidence in that at all. They don’t seem to separately address mask re-use etc.

There is a study comparing epidemic spread rate in mask-mandate vs non-mask mandate US states that shows the rate of growth is 2% slower in mask-mandate states.

Note that US mask mandates were for “public open spaces” – i.e. the spaces where the least contaminations take place yet still had a significant impact.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

Further projection analysis similarly supports mask use.

http://www.healthdata.org/research-article/modeling-covid-19-scenarios-united-states

Last Edited by T28 at 30 Oct 15:49
T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Now opposition politicians are calling for a national lockdown because it will achieve better compliance due to solidarity!

It does make one lose faith in human nature. Well, IQ has never been a requirement to get into politics, especially local politics, but clearly it applies to the BBC also.

Unfortunately their assessment may well be correct. If you go for local lockdowns, people will rush out of the lockdown areas and infect those not affected.

Yes, I have totally lost faith. Completely. Seeing this has shattered my belief that people stand together in times of need into the opposite. Corona will change the way society works and it probably will change the way countries need to be governed in times of crisis. The total failure to stop this horror by the governments of the Western democracies vs the Asian authoritatian states has taught that lesson very well indeed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The answer is… magic mushrooms!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

There is a study comparing epidemic spread rate in mask-mandate vs non-mask mandate US states that shows the rate of growth is 2% slower in mask-mandate states.

There’s a lot of estimation there and as they not huge number of limitation in the actual data. It’s definitely interesting to note, but with a difference that small and presumably there are a number of other factors which it doesn’t appear they’ve any ability to isolate between different actions in states. I would guess mask mandate states also have a number of other requirements compared to the less restrictive states.

I was more interested to see if there’s any actual scientifically rigorous comparisons in how effective masks are (particularly non n95, t-shirts, random bits of cloth, multiple use) I regularly see masks handled pretty poorly when I’m out and about in the car and do wonder about how effective they are.

There is a lot of data on how a mast reduces the distance which exhaled droplets travel.

What you will never get is data on how much it helps with CV19. Such an experiment could be done but would be somewhat unethical, given that some subjects will die of it To me, wearing a mask is an obvious no-brainer, and not difficult.

It would be more complicated if one was wearing it in a setting where the virus is actually likely to be, because then it needs to be handled carefully when removed, and disposed of or disinfected. Normally, many of us wear masks in scenarios where nobody (or perhaps 1/1000) is likely to be infected, and then it is just a courtesy / a legal requirement. If I was wearing a mask on say a ski lift, i.e. in a possibly highly infected environment, I would probably keep a bag for it, put it into the bag after each lift journey, and be careful with hygiene generally when handling it (use alcohol wipes, etc; the procedure is obvious).

The UK numbers are taking off big-time. From a very low base over much of the country, but still…

This is our local big town, Brighton, pop. 600k (to which we have not been for about a year) although it includes the Univ of Sussex which must be at least 75% infected. Week 39 to 40 is the “freshers week” when all the new students go off partying. So the few k students trebled the infections for a town of 600k, but 2/3 of them don’t live on campus…

This is for West Sussex which is a less dense area although it does have some sizeable towns

I reckon it’s gonna be a bleak winter, especially with TAFs like this

EGKK 301658Z 3018/3124 22010KT 9999 BKN010 TEMPO 3018/3022 3000 RADZ BKN006 PROB30 TEMPO 3018/3022 BKN004 PROB40 TEMPO 3022/3102 4000 RADZ BKN008 BECMG 3102/3105 BKN030 BECMG 3105/3108 18015G25KT BECMG 3108/3111 19020G35KT TEMPO 3111/3116 6000 RA PROB30 TEMPO 3112/3115 3000 +RA BKN014 BECMG 3115/3118 23010KT PROB40 TEMPO 3123/3124 7000 RA

Administrator

This is a nice graph of the relative number of contaminated per 100k within each age group (in Norway). The x axis is week number. I would think roughly the same situation is everywhere.

At the start of the pandemic, the age group 90+ is greatly over represented. Then it fell to close to zero for all ages during the summer. Now it is the age group 20-29 that is over represented.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

That’s a very interesting graph, and probably right all over Europe. One has to wonder why the change… is it just old people being more careful / different care home procedures, or is it the young being careless and forming the majority?

National lockdown being considered in the UK from Monday – here. Schools to remain open though.

Administrator

Very interesting graph indeed, that may also explain why the death rate isn’t going up so much (combined with better understanding and early treatment).

Is there a similar presentation for the deaths?

Sign in to add your message