Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

The issue in US states is that in most of them the majority of the land area is almost unaffected but the population centers (large cities) are more generally affected. These are big states in a big country.

I live in a fairly densely populated area, although urban would a stretch, which is rich with business of which much is now at idle, and where (and I state this as fact, not to be provocative) I know no one who has had Coronavirus and I’ve met no one who knows or has met anyone who has had Coronavirus. The uniform lockdown over vast unaffected areas versus localized areas is unintelligent and counterproductive except for the responsible politicians – it is generally believed to be the result of state governors worried about offending their urban voters by being locked down longer, not the result of any necessity. As a result in many areas it is now largely being ignored by anybody who doesn’t have a business license to lose.

The racist thing is predicable and brainless: There is literally no issue that cannot be construed by some to be indicative of racism. It doesn’t make them correct.

I am anyway glad to have just landed after a nice flight, and will now eat lunch with my wife in my furnished hangar. Good to have a nice T-hangar that I’ve made ours over 14 years, and not be forced into hypochondriac group stupidity to the detriment of all.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 May 19:21

Perhaps wiser not to push the alt-right conspiracy theory about constitutional rights protesters.

It’s difficult to get a handle on the data at the moment, the discussion early on about the wuhan biolab was labeled conspiracy theory. Now there seems to quite a lot of groups thinking it is certainly possible, if not probable that it was an accidental leak from that lab.

Off_Field wrote:

It’s difficult to get a handle on the data at the moment, the discussion early on about the wuhan biolab was labeled conspiracy theory. Now there seems to quite a lot of groups thinking it is certainly possible, if not probable that it was an accidental leak from that lab.

Certainly possible. But how does that help us?

EGTK Oxford

Indeed the variation in virus density around even a small place like the UK is massive. I live near Brighton (EGKA) and I don’t know anybody who has got the virus, and would struggle to know anybody who knows anybody who has got it. Maybe a distant-known person knows somebody. Certainly I know somebody who knows a nurse who works in a hospital where they’ve had 100 deaths and 200 recoveries over past 6 weeks, at the Royal Sussex Hospital (Brighton) and one other.

Note the 100/200 is a pretty crappy ratio, so this thing is very dangerous. Had to be said though that since most people spend weeks rather than days in the hospital (many are so weak they can barely lift up their hand) the 200 figure has a long time lag on it and it doesn’t mean that 1/3 of everybody going into hospital will die. Probably 1/3 of ICU people will die.

It’s obvious that the moment you get away from dense population centres you should be pretty safe, but it’s equally obvious that touching a petrol pump nozzle on a busy petrol station on the A23 and sticking a finger up your nose will shorten the odds dramatically.

And 50% of the population is below average IQ, and will never get the most basic procedures into their head… so the govt cannot say that villagers can do what they like, especially as villages nowadays are expensive to live in because they are full of high earning people who commute to London etc and if there is anything going around London you are going to bring that back home.

About 500ppm (0.05%) of the UK has died of the virus and it is heavily concentrated in the high density spots. It is also heavily concentrated among the elderly (with care homes being a particular focus now) and with most of the (many more than most believe) younger fatalities being obese. One comment from an ICU person was that practically everybody dying (and who wasn’t elderly) was obese, regardless of gender, race, etc.

It would be good if the obesity correlation triggered some kind of national discussion after this is all over, because if obesity could be effectively addressed, something of the order of 1/3 of the NHS workload would disappear. That would be the equivalent of the £120BN NHS budget being increased by several tens of BN.

The police are loving their new powers, so when they see someone sitting on a park bench in Brighton they drive up and scream at them through the open window, telling them to move on, but in the countryside you can do what you like because they don’t venture there. They avoid the countryside even when you try to report a burglary

The general view is that up to 3% of the UK (much less in the countryside, reaching 3% in dense centres) has been exposed to it. Doesn’t stop facebook filling up with figures like 80%, and that’s before you get the stuff about 5G masts spreading it which merely underlines that most people totally wasted their edukkation opportunities

Moving to more interesting places, I am told Brac Island (Croatia) has had 1 case. Mali Losinj, I don’t know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

In New York the “Epicenter” of the virus in the US The NY Gov Cuomo, ordered all CV patients back from the hospitals to the Nursing homes even while infectious. In the link below it is exposed why he did it then he lied about it. You just cant make this stuff up. Someone said 25% of all CV deaths occurred in nursing facilities. Now compare that to a State like Florida where the senior citizen population is extremely high in the winter. They call them snow birds. What did that Gov in Florida do that knuckle head in NY did not do?

Here is the link I was interrupted with a phone call.

KHTO, LHTL

Off_Field wrote:

Now there seems to quite a lot of groups thinking it is certainly possible, if not probable that it was an accidental leak from that lab.

I believe it was this group that I sent the links to the scientific journals dating back to 2015 and the Univ. of North Carolina Virology lab experiments there. 2015 predates our current set of problems it was all documented there and up till 2019.

Its in the journals it is not a conspiracy theory that gain of function research was conducted there and taken to Wuhan.

JasonC wrote:

Off_Field wrote:

Certainly possible. But how does that help us?

I doesnt but might well explain the overreaction to the virus. The Intel agencies knew what was going on there. Many of those researchers worked in US labs, supported or bankrolled in part by our Dept of Defense.

It most certainly was accidentally released, because although highly infectious the lethality in minimal. If it was developed for biological warfare then the Chinese had yet to develop a vaccine for it otherwise they would have used it. Thats just my theory.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

They avoid the countryside even when you try to report a burglary

So you guys have No Go zones in the UK?

KHTO, LHTL

No; the police are occassionally a bit lazy. Many years ago I called 999 to report a suspected burglary next door, about 4am, and they told me to get dressed and investigate, and call them back if I saw a burglar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

it is generally believed to be the result of state governors worried about offending their urban voters by being locked down longer, not the result of any necessity.

The problem with selective lockdown in areas of close geographical proximity is that the population from a highly affected area in lockdown will travel to the area that’s not locked down and thus spread the virus. The only way to prevent that would be to totally seal these areas off, as indeed a few small Northern California communities are doing. I don’t have the definitive answer to all this (hell, I wouldn’t write here, would I !) but the opening up process was always going to be much more difficult than the lockdown.

Peter wrote:

so the govt cannot say that villagers can do what they like, especially as villages nowadays are expensive to live in because they are full of high earning people who commute to London etc and if there is anything going around London you are going to bring that back home.

Maybe draw a generous circle around the commuting distance from london. Have that as a more restricted zone :)

Sign in to add your message