Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Peter wrote:

Indeed the variation in virus density around even a small place like the UK is massive. I live near Brighton (EGKA) and I don’t know anybody who has got the virus, and would struggle to know anybody who knows anybody who has got it.

My home town is the fourth largest in Sweden and so far I have one colleague (hospitalised for a short time) and one other colleague’s wife (not hospitalised) who’ve had it. None of my friends or acquaintances. Actually, the other colleague must have had it too – without symptoms – considering that his wife has been ill at home for several weeks.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

C210_Flyer wrote:

If it was developed for biological warfare then the Chinese had yet to develop a vaccine for it otherwise they would have used it.

I don’t believe that because a biological weapon should have very high mortality and very low spread. Just the opposite of what we’re seeing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Off_Field wrote:

It would take a brave landlord, but once the contract payment terms are broken, go in change the locks take the property back and put notice on the contents.

Business rates are obscene already, although much has been talked about doing something about them nothing ever seems to come of it.

I agree it’s a straightforward breach of contract, but the reason no landlord is going to do that is because their chances of replacing the tenant with one that can/will pay (at least, at anything like the current rent) is approximately zero. Even before Covid, retail property rentals were nosediving with any tenant up for renewal able to demand significant double-digit % reductions.

EGLM & EGTN

Airborne_Again wrote:

You and I are fortunate to live in countries that have not restricted GA flying. But I think we should not be gloating about it.

I think we shouldn’t conflate happiness nor disgust with stupidity with Schadenfreude.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 May 13:47

This is for our local area. Finally, we are seeing the end

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What is the URL for the site?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

Most Drs depend on detail men (Pharma Rep sales people) to provide then with the information concerning drug treatment for patients.

That is a lie and a pretty damaging one, because it causes laypeople to distrust medical professionals. Pharma Rep sales people have pretty bad reputation among most doctors and any doctor worth his stethoscope will always double or triple check any information they provide. Most of our information about new medication comes via scientific papers, medical conferences etc.

Of course, the pharmaceutical industry tries to influence us wherever possible, for their own gain, but enough independent resources exist.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Sadly there are plenty of doctors not worth their stethoscope.

With the figures now appearing to be under control, surely easing of restrictions must be brought forwards.

Most of our information about new medication comes via scientific papers, medical conferences etc.

Perhaps it depends on whether you mean (what in the UK is called) consultants, or GPs (family doctors).

In the UK, most GPs have long ago lost interest in keeping themselves informed. Their primary task is stuff like examining hemorrhoids and that they generally do well. Anything slightly nonstandard, they are mostly hopeless. Most haven’t read a medical paper since they left their studies. Their main job is often described as preventing the great unwashed from going directly to a consultant. A few really care, but rarely have the time, with ~10 minute slots, and they still don’t know much up to date stuff. Practically all fail utterly miserably on lifestyle/dietary advice.

Consultants are mostly very good at their job, though quite a few are arrogant and not easy to deal with. Many years ago I went to see one famous ENT chap (also famous for bonking the nurses at the private hospital) at £160 per half hour. I typed up all the info on a sheet of A4 and posted it to him so as to make the best use of his time. He had never read it; he just left it on his desk and told me he wants to hear it from me. Total twat. On 200-300k and an Aston Martin.

There are good people out there and they shine and you stick with them.

What is the URL for the site?

https://coronavstats.co.uk/england/nhs_trusts

In the top right corner you can choose NHS Trusts (greatest detail on deaths) or Upper Tier Local Authorities (greatest detail on cases).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quite a sight.

It reminds me of one of the scottish Islands which I think padlock the swings in the playground on Sundays so no enjoyment can be had.

Sign in to add your message