Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PC12 lands at closed RAF base because pilot “wanted to visit the beach”

Assuming accidental landing (e.g. navigation error), I think the guy would just leave his ID, fill forms and fly back his aircraft?

I heard stories in gliding clubhouse of land-out in UK AF bases (usually it is not a mayday), never heard of anyone going detained or going to prison and that includes US ones (e.g. Lakenheath), I did hear about two people who could not collect their gliders landing out in golf course on the day and got kicked out by the security guys…

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 May 15:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Some years ago I landed at Mildenhall in a RAF Flying Club PA28; it was a weather diversion. On landing we were arrested and put in a police car. The Customs man was called and not very amused, then the RAF Base Commander arrived. I looked at him and said I know you, yes he said, you chopped me in basic training. Loads of forms and eventually we flew away.

Many years ago got permission to land at Valley, or possibly Mona – it was a charity flight and the RAF were very nice about it.

Have also diverted into Brize Norton, with ATC coordination – again very good hosts. If I recall there is a vintage fastback 172 based at Brize Norton mixing it with the heavy transports.

I can’t get my head around landing at an RAF base without any prior permission, outside of a weather/technical diversion.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

IIRC Valley has (or used to have) arrester cables which require prior briefing. This pilot may have not been able to depart after tangling with these cables.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I’ve flown into Mona. I think that’s easy enough, there’s a flying club there I believe.

EGLM & EGTN

How much was the landing fee at Mona Graham?

I can’t recall but I don’t remember it being of any significance. Probably 20 quid or less. This was in perhaps 2012 or 13.

EGLM & EGTN

Thanks !

Graham wrote:

I guess they probably realised, once he said he was going anyway, that they (probably, I am not sure) have no powers to detain a civilian or impound his aircraft.

In Germany, a civilian entering a military area will be under jurisdiction of the military police, at least until the (civilian) police arrives. Pull this stunt on a Luftwaffe base and you are sure to be arrested. Some of them are dual use though, so it’s not black and white.

I once flew Precision Radar Approaches at Wittmundhafen ETNT during my PPL training. We were not allowed to go below 500 ft there.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I’m not sure of the exact position here in the UK.

I’d have thought they would definitely have the power to eject you from a military facility and perhaps hand you over to civilian police (who may or may not detain you) but I would be very surprised if they had the power to detain you for any length of time.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message