Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PC12 lands at closed RAF base because pilot “wanted to visit the beach”

Capitaine wrote:

I think we’re very lucky in GA that no-one has loaded a Skyhawk with fertiliser.

On the other hand, it’s not so much luck as practicality: as Timothy McVeigh demonstrated, it’s about 1000 times easier and 1000 times more effective to load a 7.5 tonne truck with fertiliser. Same thing with the Troubles in Northern Ireland: no aeroplane bombs but an awful lot of car bombs.

Andreas IOM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I remember reading this thread some time ago and wondering what happened to the pilot, if anything, especially given the comments above that the CAA was unlikely to be interested. This evening, I happened to be browsing the CAA website and turns out the pilot was prosecuted by the CAA in 2021 for 2 counts of flying within an ATZ without permission. He was found guilty, and fined 2x £1,700.

I guess the relevant NOTAM did not deactivate the ATZ (which you sometimes see when airfields temporarily close).

Seems there were no consequences vis-a-vis the MoD (e.g. being sued for tresspass) and interesting the CAA chose to prosecute the ATZ busts (presumably felt that they had to be seen to be doing something).

EGTF, United Kingdom

Indochine wrote:

He was found guilty, and fined 2x £1,700.

PC-12 and £3400? I think it is like 2 hours of flying or something in the ballpark…
It is not a fine then, just an out of hours fee. :)

EGTR
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message