Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many people have practically stopped flying during coronavirus?

I have pretty much stopped flying because I can’t physically get to my plane (last flight Feb 2020).

Tököl LHTL

tmo wrote:

Is it really as nice as people say it is? Do they ever have discounts? 1200 EUR is more than my XPlane PC cost… ;)

I haven’t installed it yet (Christmas break project), but I did try it at AERO Friedrichshafen in 2019. And yes, it makes all the difference in the world in realism. Mainly because the trim actually works like a trim and not as an additional elevator which it does if the yoke is spring loaded.

I bought in on Black Friday in the hope that they would offer a discount, but nope.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 14 Dec 21:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

tmo wrote:

And not one trip report for the EuroGA DB

Yeah, I wouldn’t even know what to write. AOC flying is a little different than normal trips. Ops arrange flight planning, fuel, w&b, handling, catering.. I just get in and execute. I may write a few words about the Learjet 75 after gaining a little more experience. Have only 80 hours on it so far.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

Ops arrange flight planning, fuel, w&b, handling, catering.. I just get in and execute.

It’s good that you’re able to track the record of the airports unlike these guys.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

I haven’t installed it yet (Christmas break project), but I did try it at AERO Friedrichshafen in 2019. And yes, it makes all the difference in the world in realism. Mainly because the trim actually works like a trim and not as an additional elevator which it does if the yoke is spring loaded.

Let me know how you think it is? I used to have a Saitek Combo with Cessna Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle segment and trim wheel but replaced the Yoke with the Honeycomb Alpha – really great piece of kit. Am just waiting for the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle / Trim to be delivered – especially looking forward to configuring it for MEPs as well as Jets…..

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Let me know how you think it is? I used to have a Saitek Combo with Cessna Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle segment and trim wheel but replaced the Yoke with the Honeycomb Alpha – really great piece of kit.

I had a similar setup with Saitek yokes etc. but without the trim wheel. I’ll be sure to report back. But maybe not in this thread.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This Clued-Up UK magazine PDF is a pretty sad reflection of how pilots (and airfields) over-interpreted the CAA “guidance” and stopped flying for months. Half of it is taken up with how to get back into flying.

It seems that humans retain a great capacity to destroy themselves, particularly in aviation.

This was 100% legal throughout.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I haven’t flown for 9 months now :( Mostly due to lack of time, bad weather, aircraft not available though. Covid is only partially to blame (lack of time), but never closed the school I rent from for more than a few days…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter wrote:

sad reflection of how pilots (and airfields) over-interpreted the CAA “guidance” and stopped flying for months

I think it’s mostly the “political correctness pressure” that plays a part in here as well. Many pilots/operators/clubs will acknowledge that while not a “legal” requirement, shutting down while the country is in the midsts of a pandemic is the “right thing to do”. Of course that’s all bollocks but they may want to protect their image and avoid some “curtain twitchers” posting photos of their aircraft on Twitter with a “SHAME ON YOU!” caption.

Of course others don’t care about PC and simply shut down because they don’t understand the legalities and simply want to behave well. No wonder since GA pilots are taught from the very beginning to keep a low profile, never question authorities, ask for permission on everything etc.

EDDW, Germany

The whole club/school based UK GA scene is based around a default approach to everything of ‘you need a professional to explain this to you’. It barely recognises the right of the private aviator to do his/her own thing and not be anyone’s customer.

Contrast with the US where there is the regulator, the regulated citizens exercising their privileges, and everything else is optional.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message