Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen terminal chart pricing

If you like printed charts, then the best way is to pay for a single-installation Jeppview (Windows) which I believe is about €900 for all of “political Europe”. Printing PDFs from that is very easy – a single PDF for a whole airport. You can put the PDFs onto as many devices as you want, obviously.

We have various threads here on printing from Ipads. I don’t know what the current best workflow is but when I tried it a few years ago it basically didn’t work properly (fonts coming out wrong, etc). But the bottom line is that JeppTC and JeppFD both prevent printing more than one plate at a time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that sticking to a paperless cockpit by using a tablet needs a personal decision or some change of mind. Once you feel Ok with it, you will find your way to organise yourself on board according to what you need in a given situation (approach, departure etc.). It is a step to do but you should quickly become at ease.

Piotr_Szut wrote:

I would need a second iPad, with of course another Jeppesen subscription at 400 euros, in case the first one would fail.

Hmm, that’s quite a lot to spend for a backup solution. In France you’ll have access to the SIA approach plates which may be sufficient for just in case of event even if that changes your habits for reading (and you could then print out). I use my iPad for more than 3 years now. It never failed. The iPad left twice due to overheating in summer in southern France (due to my fault leaving it several minutes on the glareshield). I held its back in front of the air diffuser in the cockpit. It came back about 3-4 minutes later (which is equal to about one holding pattern ).

Nonetheless, if you want to buy a second one, I would buy a mini iPad which is cheaper and just great to handle on board.

Last Edited by Flyamax at 01 Jan 11:45
France

which I believe is about €900 for all of “political Europe”

My understanding is that it’s rather 1600Euros

And what about the yoke mount for iPad mini?
Peter do you print your plates or do you use a tablet?

What iPad yoke mount for a 172 would you use?

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 01 Jan 12:58
Paris, France

Could you post the website where you found that price? Maybe they have dropped the €900 offer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have just made the decision to go paperless and comverted my classic Jepp IFR license France-only to the single-install covering full Europe IFR plus VFR. About the same cost (<700 euro pa). All to run on my mini iPad on a yoke mount as in

My backup will be my iPhone running Skydemon with the government charts. I carry a spare batterycharger and can charge off the alternator as well.

On top I plan to print out the most important charts and slivers of enroute maps. I will also carry outdated enroute maps.

Would this setup cover your paperless concerns? I am just tired of printing and managing endless charts.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

My understanding is that it’s rather 1600Euros
And what about the yoke mount for iPad mini?
Peter do you print your plates or do you use a tablet?
What iPad yoke mount for a 172 would you use?

You can use a RAM mount for iPad mini which I have and works like a charm (buy it at sportys.com/pilotshop for less than 60$)
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ipad-iphone-android/ipad-iphone-android-mounts/ipad-mini-yoke-mount.html

I don’t remember how much I used to pay for my ipad only subscription (mobileFD), but 1600 euros seems to be excessive to me, since I pay almost the same for a JeppView MFD Europe IFR / VFR subscription with 4 Mobile FD keys for my iPads mini (regular & backup).
I now use only my ipad mini exclusively for my checklist app, IFR charts backup and VFR flights with ANP.

LSGL

+1 for the RAM mount – I use it, too (not sure about the specific combinations, RAM is very customizable, but the mount that clamps it onto the yoke and the cradle for the iPad mini are exactly as the ones in the link above.

Biggin Hill

+1 for RAM.
Its the one shown in the pic above

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

They told me on the telephone that it’s c. 1600 euros for the windows version. It comes with 4 keys but there is no way to get a 1 key subscription for windows.
Maybe it’s VFR+IFR I don’t remember.

For the iPad I pay 459 (VAT not included) euros for IFR only. I don’t feel the need for a VFR chart subscription. Skydemon is all I need for VFR flying.
The price list is there
http://www.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/pdfs/EMEA_Catalog_2016.pdf

I really would like not to have to print the charts anymore (@Peter: even if I could find a convenient and cheap way of doing it.)

May be I could have only one Jeppesen subscription and another tablet (my Windows surface) with the AIP charts as a backup. I have a G1000 which is a backup as well.
Thank you for the RAM mount picture.
What do you think of http://ipadyokemounts.com/ipad_yoke_mount_cessna_order_page4.html ? It seems easier to setup, and lighter.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 02 Jan 09:48
Paris, France

Do you have charts on the G1000? In which case I would consider that sufficient.

If not – It all depends on what the backup is for in your case, and in what kind of weather you fly.

Personally, I am a bit skeptical about relying on the AIP charts; obviously it can be done and many use them as their primary chart, but you seem to have come to the same conclusion that I have come to: it is worth paying Jeppesen to get a better product. Do you really want to go back to AIP if something goes wrong, which according to Murphy’s law will happen at the worst possible moment, for example at night with weather at minimums and just enough fuel for one approach and the diversion + final reserve?

But if you do – if weather is a factor, I would recommend to at least write down the minima for your destination and reasonable alternates, as not having these clearly stated is the single biggest issue the AIP pages have.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message