Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you use a kneeboard when IFR? Which one?

I fly with the original Knee Board I bought during my PPL over 20 years ago.
It’s A5 size, got a knee-moulded back face and opens to reveal 5 or 6 clear sleeves.
I used to have a plog on the front and then flip it open to the sleeves with pages of the airfield plates taken from pooley flight guide.
It was a perfect system.
For IFR flight it niw seems a bit small.
I can see in many aircraft there would be little room for a bigger one but niw with only A5 to regularly write stuff down, and the need to see all the information I’ve prepared, then needing an approach plate, it all gets a bit busy.

I’m thinking of either a larger one or a tri-fold.

I think once I have the full IR I’ll develop a routine and probably do more electronically (I do now and have everything I need) but for the training and flight test I need to be a little more traditional.
For those that aren’t fully electronic, What kneeboards do people use and how do they manage them?

United Kingdom

I’ve got a simple A5 kneeboard with a paper clip. I use it to hold the operational flight plan and notes like clearances etc.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I would personally recommend against something too big. It’s a bit like the bag problem, you fill the space you have.

I must admit I have gone almost fully electronic at this point, I have briefing packs on both phone and iPad, checklists and plates are on my iPad and I use the scratchpad function on Skydemon for notes/clearances etc. I do also carry a simple plastic A5 clipboard though with a folded over A4 page on it just in case of tech difficulties or anything else that may be required.

When I was training I used one called a Profi by Design 4 Pilots which was really excellent for that purpose, although sounds similar to what you already have.

Last Edited by Pirho at 07 Mar 22:30
United Kingdom

For IFR (mainly for clearances) – I have tried about 5 different kneeboards – and was unhappy with all of them – until I found the FlyBoys classic kneeboard:

https://flyboys.com/collections/kneeboards/products/fly-boys-classic-kneeboard

By far the best. It fits perfectly, easy to put on, nothing slips, great ergonomics, easy to write on, holders for three pens (and a little pocket, I store headset batteries there) – and if you want to you can attach some paper checklists or charts with binders.

I only can highly recommend this kneeboard!

Last Edited by BerlinFlyer at 08 Mar 06:44
Germany

I use the Jepp one which I bought over 20 years ago for my flight training. Works perfectly fine and I sometimes put a power pack into one of the pouches to power the iPad. Otherwise I’m fully electronic, although I do have paper backup for approach plates.

I have gone paperless, using the iPad mini on the yoke for notes (which are limited to fuel, taxi and initial clearances, and fuel totals). I find it much faster and safer to simply dial in the avionics whatever I’m given immediately, like next freq, altitude headings or squawk, instead of rushing to write then act.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

I find it much faster and safer to simply dial in the avionics whatever I’m given immediately, like next freq, altitude headings or squawk, instead of rushing to write then act

Should work when alone and far easier to dial freq right when given but the sneaky instructor/examiner will kill PFD/Radio and ask to remind him what was the last en-route frequency to dial on the hand-held, FREQ = 121.5 & TXP = 7600, mouhahaha !

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 09:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes, that’s exactly the backup plan

EGTF, LFTF

I actually just use my iPhone and snap it to the interior somewhere with a magnetic back. The iPad with all the tools, apps, etc. is within easy reach and has the same info. I make sure SD, Foreflight or whatever I am planning to use (depends on where I am flying) will be up-to-date and downloaded (plates etc.) on both my iPhone and my iPad. Then I only use the iPhone in flight next to the avionics that is in the aircraft.

EDLE, Netherlands

I was considering using Remarkable because my daughter is delighted with it but then I realised €400 is bit too much for something that is supposed to replace paper for few data written to it during flight. So for me it’s simple kneeboard and piece of paper to write down clearance, ATIS and similar stuff.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message