Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Original Paint Schemes & Interiors

boscomantico wrote:

As much as I like the golden age paint schemes generally, I wouldn’t go for that orange again.

Come on, the orange is kind of cool, no? Actually I had thought perhaps the same scheme, but bright red instead. And the GT scheme is ok, but I’m not that inspired by it TBH.

EHRD, Netherlands

Some years ago I found a website for fantasy airline liveries, some of which were very good. I always thought if I’d ever have a plane to repaint, I’d ask some of the contributors there to design something.
Unfortunately I can’t find that website anymore.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

On a pre GT, as some did, one could debate it

I believe that is the scheme that is on our (non-GT) TB10, applied maybe 2yrs ago.

It doesn’t say GT on the side though. It doesn’t even say Tobago.

When the paint shop offered us choices we weren’t exactly blown away. This was chosen as basically the most neutral / least offensive.

EGLM & EGTN

dutch_flyer wrote:

Come on, the orange is kind of cool, no?

Agree, and surely as a Dutchman the orange is basically obligatory?

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Agree, and surely as a Dutchman the orange is basically obligatory?

Adopted Dutchman, but agree nonetheless!

EHRD, Netherlands

One of the big selling points of TB’s is the (OK, relatively) modern build and look vs CessPipersauruses.

In my opinion that makes the “original paint scheme” less attractive or less of a point on TB’s.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I seem to be in the minority here, but I definitely like the modern schemes and don’t like the original schemes. I like the yellow/back one above and I like the GT colours (I’ve also seen the GT one in a grey which also looks nice).

But what I would say is that it’s ok to sound out other people, but only to help you better understand your own preference.

At the end of the day, it’s your aircraft, and you’re the one who’s going to have to pay for it and live with it. You might as well like it!

No matter what you choose most people will be polite and tell you that they love it. But some will love it, and some won’t (but unlikely to say that anyway!). You can’t please everyone. But the only person you should worry about pleasing with this is yourself

Some people like old cars over new ones. Some people like old technology over new tech. Some people like old clothes over modern styles. And some people like old aircraft over newer ones.

And some people like original paint schemes over new ones. That’s their choice. And if you’re paying the bills, then make sure you are getting something that makes you happy! There is no point in getting a paint scheme that you aren’t happy with yourself, just because others think it’s nice!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Interesting points on the Socata TB series specifically, and making it your own versus what somebody else may like.

The TB is a product of the late 70s, an era that isn’t appreciated so much stylistically by many, at least not yet, but as with other products of that era I don’t think the plane itself is the issue. To me it’s more that with the late 70s and 80s came a period in which paint schemes, interiors etc on just about everything were made in the same basic style as immediately before… except cheapened up and worse. For that reason I can see that some might prefer the last TB factory paint schemes, because like ‘everybody else’ they tried harder again in the nineties and many might judge they did better. I think for example that the black paint added around the windows to hide the rear window seals is very successful.

My own preference in ‘making it my own’ is to think about the next guy who will own the plane, as well as my own taste. I am just the caretaker of the plane etc. I’ll have my plane for a number of years to come but paint lasts for decades if the plane is hangared, and anything that’s too personal in the design is unlikely to be so attractive to the next guy, who I’d like to encourage to appreciate the plane as much as I do. When I repaint my plane in the next year or so it will be in the standard early 70s scheme or something very close, perhaps a slight difference in the striping that most people wouldn’t even notice. Nothing with which a new owner couldn’t identify. That slight difference (if any) will be my mark, but it’s not something I want other people to notice.

All of the above my take only.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jun 15:13

I agree; it is really a “how long are you gonna keep it” question.

It is exactly like when in the 1980s the dreary post-WW2-impoverished UK first saw imports of wonderful ceramic tiles (from Italy, of course). These replaced the dreary British white or blue or white tile options, with amazing choices, and things like tile sets with pictures formed across a 3×3 matrix. If you went for one of the mermaids (which were, of course, nude) then you could not sell your house to anybody over the age of about 60 (well, 60 back then; today 60 is the new 40)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m curious as to why over-60s don’t like mermaids? These days I have to admit that I am one of their number, and I’m not that keen on mermaids either, but that has always been the case.

If you want to sell anything, keep it neutral. That’s true for just about anything. Every house I’ve sold has been repainted in white (or that odd British version of it, magnolia) before trying to sell.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message