Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Original Paint Schemes & Interiors

Snoopy wrote:

Is aircraft paint different?

I don’t think that is the issue. It is probably more connected to the environment airplanes are used in. Sometimes it can be buffed away, but it is a risk to simply assume a white finish will be fine when removing vinyl years later. It depends on the environment (wx, hangar, high vs low altitude flying), and how long before you remove the vinyl, of course.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Also most cars now have metallic paint. As I understand that, it means that there is a clear coat of permanent protector over the paint. So removing the wrap probably never gets to affect the paint on the car, just the clear coat of protector, which isn’t going to be very visible.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Lots of discussion ‘out there’ on whether it’s legal to wrap a type certified airplane. Most say ‘not legal’ for N-registered planes. (I have no opinion)

Friends of mine have wrapped the wings etc of their Reno racer in the most obnoxious fluorescent green color. The wrap is a way of making it impermanent!

1986 Paint. Sundrenched in Spain parked outside for a while.

The first pass with compound and it’s looking better already.

Vertical losing the look of that sticker

The same colour as Cirrus are using in 2021 – Almost

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Impressive work, thanks for showing.

The first pass with compound and it’s looking better already.

What compound? What’s the process? Looks amazing!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hard to do that without buffing the paint off the rivets…. Lots of hand work. I hope you’ll post some photos of the finished result, it would be fun to see!

PS Love the oleo configuration

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Jul 20:11

Snoopy wrote:

What compound? What’s the process?

Thanks. This is the process we followed here https://roar-polishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Process-Chart.jpg

Silvaire wrote:

PS Love the oleo configuration
You reminded me to order the new X style oleo seal kit from McFarlane for her. I’ll get a flap roller kit while I’m onto them too. Yes, we usually go for the upper end of the specified oleo inflation range shall we say, and fit the defacto Alaskan bump stop mod. I have old induction rubbers if anyone else wants to do the same. I think we packed those pieces in to stop her bouncing around on the truck when we moved it to the workshop. You are indeed right about the rivet heads. The paint is thin and great care must be taken with high-cut compound and a rotary polisher.
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Lots of microfibre cloth, clay and elbow grease, emphasis on elbow grease

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks for that RL18C.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I didn’t believe in ceramic coating until we got a test patch done. Now it looks like a good move to stick with the original paint.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message