Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Well I think you should know how to use weapons if it was, for whatever reason, necessary. I achieved that golden badge for precision firing during my time at military service. But other than that I highly prefer a bow over firearms

Peter wrote:

The Ukranians are achieving amazing stuff.

Peter I stopped believing any war report available in the net. Since the third day of war I have not found anything believable showing something like a “picture” about what is happening there. It is like a big black box in the distance. Really weird.

Germany

Peter wrote:

How Putin is going to reverse out of this mess, I have no idea.

In advance, sorry…

I have a terrible and very immature sense of humour…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

That’s terrible and yes very immature

Petrol and diesel is going up 10% a day now, here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I know a guy in the US who has a big collection of guns and he says you need to be built like a gorilla to hit anything with one, apart from the first shot

It’s not like that – I used it when I served in the army and I’m not that strongly built If you have recoil compensator installed, it’s as precise as any similar weapon, single or automatic fire.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This gets Poland off the hook because they won’t be supplying Ukraine directly, while they get the F16s.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Seems like senator Charlie Wilson deal 2.0 but the open source public version (Egypt & Israel were off the hook on that one)

Who has MiG27 & MiG29 in NATO countries? are they maintained on Russian contracts?

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 20:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Germany got Mig29s, etc when East and West United. I believe they’ve operated from UK bases on exercises.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

According to Wikipedia there are 50 in service between Poland, Slovakia & Bulgaria…it’s not clear how much this adds to Ukraine and how many they have already?

This will definetly boost UKR moral, the war in the air is far from being done and Ukraine still operate their fighters while Russia did not seem to have any air superiority advantage starting on day1 (they had 250 Mig29 early Feb, I think down to 200 now)

Ukraine seems to be using Drones (unheard of on Russia side)

Looks like another dice is casted for Putin !

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 21:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

How do you know?

Because I do (take that any way you want)

Ibra wrote:

I think people have had enough of experts

That’s right. The problem with Ukraine (and I guess any war while it is going on) is that we know only bits and pieces, and every bit and piece is by itself enough to extrapolate to WWIII with strategies, politics, tactics and so on by anyone with normal imagination.

I have read and listened to “real experts” (people I know to know a thing or two about the Russian military), and what they say is that the Russians follow normal tactics (like taking out the entire Ukrainian “mechanized” defense). The problem is the Ukrainians know the details of the tactics. They know the Russians weak points and strong point, and are able to hit back where in a way that stop the Russian army. Right or wrong, I don’t know, but it looks and sounds very plausible IMO, more and more so for each day. The Ukrainians are really good at it also by the looks of it.

It’s very interesting. I have been in the military for a few years, and the way the Ukrainians are fighting (by the looks of it) is very much in line with how we were thought things would end up after the initial weeks of attacks and all the F16s and big tanks, guns and missiles were gone. We would group in small units of 5-10 men roaming around the countryside hitting where it hurts the most. Guerilla warfare more or less. We never thought it would actually work all that much, not against Russia (USSR at that time), but there you go. Spent lots of days and nights in the mountains and woods like some boy scouts with AG-3, a few MGs, M72s and grenades It was a great time, and I was an aircraft mechanic, my “real” job was to get those F-16s ready for the next mission. The “hunters” and home guard, that’s all they did, and still do.

Ibra wrote:

I think we should organise a “hunting fly-in” !

Well, people actually organized similar “fly-ins” here in the 60s. It was made as a competition. First flying/navigating along a route. Then have a rifle match and navigate/fly back, or have a few beers or whatever they did

Peter wrote:

all their MIG-29 jets to the Ramstein Air Base

What’s the purpose of having a bunch of old Migs at Ramstein?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message