Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPR: If you have rats in your house, do you block up the hole from the sewer, or do you write an app for them?

dublinpilot wrote:

Perhaps you don’t have a legal system which tolerates claims for damages when the claimant should have exercised more responsibility? Or perhaps your insurers fight such claim more than they do here (or in the UK)?

I have no idea. I only know that it is not an issue here. The UK is known to be an “easy” country to sue in, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that litigants actually win more often than in other countries.

To put it differently, I don’t think these airfields are employing people to answer the phone and deliver PPR just for the fun of it. It costs money to employ people, and there is usually something better for them to do. If the vast majority of airfields in the UK and Ireland do it, there must be a reason.

There could be a culture of having PPR. “It’s just the way it’s done.”

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Sep 16:40
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The UK is known to be an “easy” country to sue in

It is probably an easy place to threaten it… The US is even easier. In neither place is one especially likely to get a payout by the time the process has run its course.

Sadly, nobody who knows the legal issues (and many here do) is putting time into posting anything…

Anyway, a “PPR app” is even less likely to be accepted because if the landowner is concerned about cowboys going there, he won’t want to make it any easier. It’s like the Euro IR

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

How does that help you when you are in the air and need to divert or make a precautionary landing?

What’s the difference? If the airport is unusable, it’s unusable regardless of PPR. With PPR you at least have a chance of knowing, even in the air, and certainly up front..

I’m no proponent of PPR, but I think this thread is full of people seeing ghosts in the middle of the day.

The best would be an online NOTAM thing. But I simply don’t see it happening, ever. It would require too much effort from the owners, too much bureaucracy.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

UK licensed airfields can get an AFPEX account and issue notams via that. In fact AFAIK any airfield can get the AFPEX account (the special one which doesn’t cut you off after a few mins) but they can’t issue notams.

I’ve heard this said before “only licenced airfields can issue Notams”

So why is there a proliferation of Notam Spam in the UK for every wee paraglider, balloon, crane and even birds…who issues those? Someone must do, and quite frankly a closed or limited airstrip for whatever reason has to be more important than most of these other Notams…

Regards, SD..

There is a lot of people in the system who feel important, and don’t have any common sense. Notams can be issued by the CAA, NATS, and various other bodies, apart from airfields.

This very thread shows the problem. Look at how many people think that PPR protects them from legal action. Nobody legally qualified has been here yet…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This very thread shows the problem. Look at how many people think that PPR protects them from legal action. Nobody legally qualified has been here yet…

Legally qualified, no, but I can read, and the term PPR exists in no laws or no regulation in Norway. In fact, the very reason for PPR has nothing to do with aviation, it’s originally (and still is) about the farmers right to not have their fields invaded by people, vs the peoples right to exist regardless of farmers. It’s a rather intricate kind of law, and with special definitions of how the land is divided and what kind of land it is. In essence, you simply need the permission of the owner.

But, a person owning, or in charge of a private airfield can do pretty much whatever he wants. It’s his land. If he is a jerk, he probably also acts like a jerk regarding the field Most owners leaves their airfield open for everyone. Others have certain stuff they would like you to read and be aware of. That’s all there is to it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Norway may be similar to UK as described here. Most normal countries must be i.e. private land is private land. The variations will be in the details.

Administrator

LeSving wrote:

What’s the difference? If the airport is unusable, it’s unusable regardless of PPR. With PPR you at least have a chance of knowing, even in the air, and certainly up front..

The point is that most PPR airports are useable essentially all the time.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Look at how many people think that PPR protects them from legal action.

As before. Stockholm syndrome. Too many people believe PPR is something which works FOR them while it’s the opposite.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But, a person owning, or in charge of a private airfield can do pretty much whatever he wants. It’s his land. If he is a jerk, he probably also acts like a jerk regarding the field. Most owners leaves their airfield open for everyone.

You’re obviously missing the point. I doubt much people gives a sh.t if someone doesn’t allow them to land on his/her grass strip with PPR. Most people are concerned about dozens of certified (public) airports suddenly started to generate PPR making GA flying there impractical/impossible due to time-related constraints in PPR like 72 hours in advance. PPR is “don’t land here if I haven’t approved it” and doesn’t have much/anything with conditions of the runway or legal responsibility of the owner for the operations.

Last Edited by Emir at 02 Sep 11:19
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message