Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AirBP notice on Cumene and fueling

Cumene appears to be relevant only to diesel and jet-a1.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think so. FWIW PPE is nearly all made in China (the perfect product for these countries) and they were laughing all the way to the bank, while everybody in the West was going crazy trying to get some of it. The major issue is large company (NHS in this case) policies on supplier approval, and this will just carry on as always… In big politics, incompetence is everywhere and you never need to look far to find some.

My reading of this is that some health & safety dick raised this cumene thing at some high level and letters went out to the fuel companies, whose H&S dicks went berserk and sent out these letters. You have to remember that in today’s big commerce the only people who are more powerful than H&S dicks are the LGBTQ+++ recruitment quota compliance managers The whole business is totally stuck up its own back orifice. In my business (electronics) we have ROHS and REACH (which is basically what this thing is about, AFAICT) and a pile of other crap which small companies can deal with pragmatically but big ones cannot.

Administrator

I don’t know if the UK is adopting EU hazmat rules automatically.

Doubt it. I expect someone senior in the Tory party has shares in a cumene supplier. It seems to be the way they work. PPE anyone?

LFMD, France

Got the UK version in the post today – it is same as Indochine’s one above

They use the word “professional” and then they define what it means as far as they are concerned, so it seems fine for us GA pilots.

It is obviously a CYA exercise.

The UK is anyway exempt from post brexit EU rules unless it adopts them explicitly. I don’t know if the UK is adopting EU hazmat rules automatically.

Administrator

As long as the 7 points in the list are met then this should have no effect on pilots, and as previously mentioned anyone with a pilot licence should meet them all pending taking a look at the MSDS.

Finding the MSDS is a bit of a pain. One can do a search here: Fuel SDS database search

The relevant product for us appears to be SAV2103. Searching on this and changing the language comes up with the list of countries publishing the MSDS in that language. If searching for English, there are different MSDS for US English and GB English.

I suppose one could always download a copy and save it on a tablet or phone for reference as proof…… and pick a language that no one would ever likely understand.

Last Edited by chflyer at 25 Nov 16:32
LSZK, Switzerland

Update: AirBP has issues a corrected German version of the info letter.

It is no longer the legally quite precise “gewerblich” (commercial), but you guess it “professionell” (professional, maybe with broader possible meaning than in English).

I would now also lean towards this being a CYA towards a useless EU regulation.

EDM_, Germany

johnh wrote:

The supreme irony of this is that professional pilots, of jets at least, always use the fuel truck. I’ve never seen a Citation lining up beside the pumps at Cannes (actually the pumps there are only Avgas). It’s us flyers-for-pleasure who use the self-serve pumps.

I think this more down to the type of engine rather than the type of operation (private, commercial etc.). On a turbine each start degrades the engine and quick restarts after fueling are especially difficult as the engine might still be very hot. So for JetA1 it is usually a lot easier to bring the fuel to the plane than the plane to the fuel. But some smaller airfields obviously have fixed JetA1 installations.
Also when doing training on a turbine most try to fly to places where one can pay online so the engine can simply keep going.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

The bottom line says Avgas must go directly to aircraft. Not to a private bowser or can.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

OK, so BP idiots in Germany have indeed translated it with the word “gewerblich”. Still, I am not a tiny bit worried, no matter if it will be corrected or not.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Nov 17:37
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The supreme irony of this is that professional pilots, of jets at least, always use the fuel truck. I’ve never seen a Citation lining up beside the pumps at Cannes (actually the pumps there are only Avgas). It’s us flyers-for-pleasure who use the self-serve pumps. Luckily it says “professional user” and not “professional pilot”, leaving open the question of “user of what”.

In France I suspect nobody will care. If they said “octogenarian marathon runners who speak fluent Hmong” nobody would care either. However it may be different in more but-these-are-the-rules countries like our friends outre-Rhin.

Last Edited by johnh at 23 Nov 17:13
LFMD, France
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message