Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

I can report that the originally mentioned method works superbly

Dominant eye for distance, the other eye for the instrument panel distance, and the little bifocal bits for reading approach plates etc on the kneeboard.

Obviously this works only for somebody for who the three requirements are not too far apart (maybe 0.5 diopter for the first two).

It takes a minute or so to get used to it and then you forget all about it.

Actually I think it would work for anybody, with any correction, but if you had say 5 diopters between the two eyes it would take a while to get used to it. Nevertheless the principle has been proven in military applications.

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Feb 11:10
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My current uncorrected vision has evolved from perfect on both as a kid to zero distance correction needed on one eye and 1.75 diopters near-sighted on the other. The difference between eyes has become very useful as I’ve grown older and lost accomodation, reading with one eye and distance vision with the other (around the house). However I found it became problematic for driving etc when the difference exceeded about 1.0 diopter. I’d think a 0.5 diopter split should be pretty manageable based on that experience, plus reading glasses if required.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Feb 15:17

I am looking for some new nice sunglasses for flying. I found the BigAtmo Strato with HCNB lenses, which I consider buying. Does anyone have some experience with them?

I suppose everyone has his own experience so I’ll get many different opinions but still I am tempted to ask: what is you preference and recommendation for sunglasses in the cockpit?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 10 Mar 08:28
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

what is you preference and recommendation for sunglasses in the cockpit?

After trying out quite a few different ones over the years (with and without prescription lenses) I came to a simple conclusion: No sunglasses are the best sunglasses for me. I still carry a pair with me, but it must have been fife years since I last put them on. I was unable to find a pair that gives good protection against bright sunshine at FL400 while allowing to read the screens in the cockpit at the same time.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I have also tried many and look for the following:

1. light
  2. fit under headset
  3. damage proof

I have never had a pair I like as much as the Pitts Aviation sunglasses. Their website has some great analysis of sunglasses for aviation here.

They are incredibly light (16g) and this has an added bonus when you drop them in that the trivex lenses don’t smash and mine are scratch free after 18 months – and while I am careful I am by no means OCD with putting them in their case. They are expensive but so far for me it has been good value.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Mar 09:08
EGTK Oxford

Those sunglasses don’t look thin enough to go under a headset (Bose X or Bose A20) without resulting in a lot more noise getting in.

I have done a lot of tests and the only frame style which has achieved that (by being thin enough) is the Silhouette, or similar frames. My current flying glasses (see thread here) are like those but reportedly break a lot less often.

However other things may work for different people, obviously. Also some headsets are probably a lot more accomodating. The worst glasses are probably Oakleys which have mostly ultra thick side sections.

The key, I find, to flying glasses is to leave them on top of the instrument panel when not flying. Then you can use the thin frames. As soon as you have to pack them away etc (if e.g. renting or sharing a plane) they are likely to get damaged. What breaks Silhouettes is folding them into a protective case.

Administrator

They are very thin and work well under my Bose headsets.

EGTK Oxford

I have had good experiences with the BigAtmo glasses – very light and comfortable and with an excellent UV filter. My only beef is that the styling of all the models does not suit my face.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I ordered a pair and will give some feedback once I get them.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I just had these done

Distance prescription on the main part, with reading inserts. Astigmatism correction on the whole lot, of course.

The frame is actually an awesomely pricey Lindberg all-titanium one, but you could use any frame. This shop charges 48 quid for lenses like the above, in most cases (the Lindberg frame above is actually a lot more complicated) and they do a great job. Their only negative is that they will make lenses only exactly to a prescription, and one within the past 12 months, but that’s true of most shops especially if you tell them you are a pilot (never a good idea – it’s a bit like trying to get oxygen from a scuba shop after telling them you are a pilot!). So if you want a somewhat unusual lens made (example) you have to find a shop run by somebody who just wants your money (but he will charge a lot more).

This is a relatively cheap but strong US-made Randolph frame – popular in aviation and available in the UK from Flightstore – and that was 48 quid, plus about 80 for the frame

These are really good solutions for most people who don’t need a lot of distance correction so they can still read the instrument panel OK. The layout allows a light left base turn to be flown, which you can’t really do with executive bifocals without twisting your head around. They are also very good for walking and generally being out and about, reading a map, a book, restaurant menus, etc.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message