Any Socata TB pilots here?

God, they are breeding.

EGTK Oxford

Just noticed this old thread.
One more here.

BTW here’s a book for you library
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-SOCATA-Trinidad-Tobago-Tampico/dp/1477407766/

LGMG Megara, Greece

I have about 30 hours on a 1992 “G1” TB20, reted from my former club for various short distance trips.

Here’s my non-biased view as a non-owner, from a renter’s perspective.

It’s a good aircraft view few vices.

-good short field performance
-good load hauler
-good climb
-giod range
-decent speed.

No doubt about it.

The vices I found are:

-in the G1s, people above 1,80 mtrs are a bit uncomfotable, since the head comes too close to the cabin roof
-the control yoke is weird (too big, weird shape, weird angle)
-the panel is partly a bit odd
-slightly small baggage door
-I personally don’t like the overall looks too much, but that is subjective

The TB9 (which I have just 5 hours in) is a terrible aircraft, lacking all the pros of the TB20 yet having all the vices of the TB in general. In the club, we called it “fliegendes Bugeleisen”..

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think that’s a good summary.

The yoke is fine IMHO. They all differ a bit across makes.

The panels varied over the years and some were quite tacky especially after a load of badly done retrofit jobs. But that’s true for most planes – some stuff out there looks horrible.

The GT lifts the ceiling about 5cm and is worth getting for loads of other reasons.

A TB suffers more from pilots “sticking their boots into the panel” than say a C182, due to the plastic trim used. So the old ones can look really tired. Especially if parked in the sun/rain without a cover.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Here’s my non-biased view as a non-owner, from a renter’s perspective.

@boscomantico were you thinking of replying in this recent thread and posted here instead ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

No. But it fits in both.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

First post while reading through all the messages (at it for days….very instructive).
N987GT, 2003 TB20GT (s/n 2213) purchased end of 2013 in the US where I reside. Flown to France where I fly in summer and fall, in 2014.

LFPN (Toussus-le-Noble), LFRE (La Baule), KHWO (North Perry, Florida)

1991 TB21 N828PD here.

I am a very happy owner. The 21 is very powerful and in a different league compared to its siblings.

LSZH

placido wrote:

1991 TB21 N828PD here.

@Placido – Have you had any problems with the turbo ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I don’t think the TB21 turbo installation has been specially troublesome, but then pilots don’t often talk openly about problems. I do know of one case where a friend of mine was grounded for 6 months while Air Touring were fiddling with the turbo. The adjustment is apparently very sensitive. But feedback from the USA suggests that it works fine if the engineer follows the instructions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message