Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any Socata TB pilots here?

Near Luton

yes – here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Michael

No, never had a problem with the turbo. I have exchanged two pots though due to valve leakage. I am at 2500tt and still flying on condition. I think next year I will overhaul the engine.

LSZH

Just out of interest, even if it is the case, why would the turbo on a TB21 create a problem when the same engine on a another airframe would not? Lay out of tubing or something?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I don’t know anything special about the TB21 turbo (I presume it is some US aftermarket kit, TCd by Socata under their 145 authority) but the engine the TB21 uses is highly unusual and no other plane uses it. It was used in a drone, I believe. No idea why Socata chose it; it ises the single shaft dual mag so would have been about $1k cheaper than a “normal” 250hp TIO-540.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

According to my German mechanic, who is a veteran Socata mechanic and knows the aircraft in and out, the TB21 turbo is very reliable. It’s a big turbo and he has not experienced any particular problems in the many years he has serviced Socatas.

Peter, if you really consider installing TKS you should talk to him. If you don’t know him he comes across grumpy but he just knows what he does and is as honest as guy as you could wish for.

Placido

LSZH
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message