Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Peter wrote:

Did you do your training with a freelancer or via some firm?

Last time I was involved in this, the checkride was not possible in a G-reg, because the FAA DPE would need to have an EASA CPL (today maybe just CPL theory) in order to get paid (in UK airspace).

I used a freelance CFII in Scotland…he is also an EASA FI/Examiner…

I did the checkride in Le Touquet…

Robert has a point…it might make financial sense to do the checkride in the US….especially if doing both Private and Instrument checkrides…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I also did my IR training in an N Reg aircraft and mostly in france at LFAT and Calais and the checkride there as well. I think one of the reasons many do it in France is that you can shoot approaches all day long and pay one landing fee vs some of the huge charges you would rack up in the UK.

If you organise everything so that you book off time for the final revision on the exam and then shortly after passing the exam (so it is fresh in your mind) schedule time to pound approaches for 3 days and then do the oral/checkride, I think this is optimal. Also found it good to do my IR training here in Europe with European weather, traffic and ATC which is where you will be using the rating.

However, I also agree that training in the USA is high quality and very good value. I went over for an 8 day stint to finish off my PPL after being frustrated in the UK by months of “one step forward, two steps back” training due to instructor availability, weather, Aircraft tech etc.

EGKB Biggin Hill London
I get the impression that the “FAA IR in Europe then EASA conversion” route is perhaps deliberately under-promoted….it clearly fits many UK based N-reg owners for a start…and as long as EASA require 7 written exams to be held at inflexible locations and schedules, it should be the route of choice for many…but it doesn’t seem so.
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Now that it looks like the conversion date will be postponed, I know of several pilots who will go this route and then get the 50 hours IFR time, the EASA medical and then train for 2-3 days and do the conversion check ride.

The only other issue I have is that I have to also get a European PPL so that the EASA IR can be “attached” to something. That means two exams and a PPL checkride.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Has anyone heard yet if a deferment has been formally announced yet?

EGHO

Can someone who speak German translate this, and find references for it?

Just got it from Achim.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

deadline for Third-Country licenses until 2017 extended

It says

EASA and European Commission have the transitional period for holding a license from a non-EASA-State again extended to April 2017th The experienced pilot and aircraft at the edge of EBASCON on 23 February.

Holder of a US license residing in the EU can thus exercise the privileges of their pilot license until April 2017th It is unclear at present even if the time limit has been decided by 2017 as a general extension for all EASA countries or whether – as in recent years – each EASA state must choose the so-called derogation and join individually.

According to the information available to us the decision was very close in the relevant body. According to the statement of the parties can not be expected to further extension through April 2017..

It seems to be the way precious little to care about the many affected private pilots with US Certificate. Decisive for the extension of the deadline was reportedly after the low conversion percentage in the business aviation companies with large machines (M, N, VP- etc.) in Europe.

How to it in just one year something should change, is not very easy to recognize. This is probably only with a comprehensive implementation of the bilateral agreement between the EASA and the FAA licensing.

Southend, United Kingdom

Well, I also know about google translate I was hoping a German speaker could do an accurate one, in case there is something relevant.

Administrator

Just quickly converted it to some sort of English:

EASA and European Commission have aparently once again extended the transitional period for holders of a license from a non-EASA-State to April 2017th. Pilot und Flugzeug Magazine learned that at EBASCON on 23rd February.

Holder of a US license residing in the EU can thus exercise the privileges of their pilot license until April 2017. It is unclear at present even if the time limit has been decided by 2017 as a general extension for all EASA countries or whether – as in recent years – each EASA state must choose the so-called derogation individually.

According to the information available to us the decision was very close in the relevant body. According to the statement of the parties involved an extension cannot be expected after 2017.

It seems, little care is taken about the many affected private pilots with US Certificates. Decisive for the extension of the deadline was reportedly the low conversion percentage in the business aviation companies with larger airplanes (M, N, VP- etc.) in Europe.

How something should change significantly in just one year, is not very easy to see. This is probably only possible with a comprehensive implementation of the bilateral agreement between the EASA and the FAA on licensing.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks – I have updated the subject. I almost wondered why there were no Germans here anymore

Administrator
Sign in to add your message