Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Fly-In Survey

How you whitelist a sender depends on how you get your email.

If you get it via a webmail service (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, etc) then you need to log into the web interface and make euroga.org a "trusted sender" or something like that. This is true even if you normally collect email via a program (not a browser); you still need to login into the web interface to configure this.

If you get it via a POP box from an ISP then it can be more tricky, because you will have the ISP implementing antispam, and on top of that if you use say Outlook as your email program that will also be implementing its own (crude) antispam. In some cases, sending an email to [email protected] might whitelist that address. Some people will need to access a web interface for their ISP which they never knew existed, to configure this.

Spam is a neverending struggle.... much spam nowadays comes from bots (trojan-infected zombie PCs, belonging to real people, remotely controlled by spammers) which are all on legitimate accounts, so the only way to tell spam usefully is by a given volume of similar emails all appearing at one ISP, within a given time frame.

I was wrong BTW about EuroGA's email coming out via google; it doesn't.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi David,

You're probably right, everybody just need to click once to whitelist the email sender and it should be done. Working with a mailing list provider definitely has it's advantages.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I know that of the order of 2% to 5% of my emails (from peter2000.co.uk) are either dropped or classified as spam.

With recipients on AOL the % is much higher but they pay for that

What is a bit suprising is that the EuroGA mailshot was mailed using Gmail and yet recipients who themselves are on Gmail got it either dropped or dropped into a Gmail spambox.

Unfortunately ISPs are resorting to desperate measures nowadays. At work, we used to run our own mail server and we used to get up to 10k spams per day, against about 20-30 real emails! That is probably fairly normal. Eventually we capitulated and moved the incoming feed to Messagelabs, which for £400/year seem to do a very very good filtering service. But few people want to pay £400/year for spam filtering...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Officer, thanks for the suggestion.

We use MailChimp, which is one of the biggest email senders around. We use DKIM, SPF, DomainKeys and SenderID, which in theory should cover all the bases for authenticated mail delivery, but it's not perfect. GMail, who I notice a few of you are using who didn't receive it first time around, use DKIM, SPF and DomainKeys.

There are quite a few email providers (my company included) who will treat anything that looks like a mass mailing as potential spam. If we remove things that make it look like a mailing list, e.g. the unsubscribe information, then we're not complying with best practice, so it's hard to win really.

Best advice is to whitelist and/or add the sender to your address book.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I also found the mail in the spambox. Maybe it's an idea to use phplist? (website) I have good experience with it. Free, open source and if you have your own vps with ip address it's even send from you own domain. Maybe that will prevent the mail from arriving in the spam email folder because it's not send from a "big" mailing provider.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

Finners, glad you got it. I'm afraid there is nothing we can do to prevent the emails going in to the spam folder. You might want to add the sending address to your address book as some systems will use that as an indication that it's not spam in the future. Some spam filters are better than others. There is nothing particularly spammy about the email content and we follow best practises for composing and sending the mail.

EISG was submitted after we started the voting, so the fact it appeared on the map was a mistake. I've removed it from the map now. To avoid confusion I've also removed the form for submitting new airfields.

Hope that explains the situation.

Administrator

Found mine in the spam folder.

I noticed that Sligo (EISG) appears on the map, but not in the voting list.

EGTT, The London FIR

Yes received at half an hour ago at 1631z.

You're right if it had not gotten through it would generate a bounce report. It is possible but VERY unlikely I deleted it. Anyway, thanks.

The invitation has also been forwarded to HellasGA your equivalent for GA in Greece ;-)

LGMG Megara, Greece

Strange. The mailer said it was delivered and certainly yours didn't bounce. I've resent the campaign to just you. I'd be interested to know if you receive it.

Administrator
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message