Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please use the new image drag/drop facility

1 Post

This was discussed in the IT/Website section but I am mentioning it here because I know a lot more people read this part

EuroGA now support easy image upload, using drag/drop. Just drag the image file into the browser window. This is much easier than the previous method of having to store the image on some photo storage site. I have updated Posting Tips now.

But the bigger reason for using drag/drop is that it helps to make EuroGA a valuable resource for others – because images stored on external sites nearly always vanish after some time. For example imgur.com deletes them 6 months after the last access.

Many images just disappear as people clean up old flickr etc links and forget they used them to upload pics to EuroGA. Many people who discover EuroGA read old threads, trip reports, etc, and with externally hosted images they just find most of the images missing. Dropbox links are the worst and invariably disappear quickly afterwards.

All free picture library sites are inherently dodgy (because there is no free lunch) and, even if the site remains up, all they need to do is implement a quiet policy of not serving images unless requested directly from the site, and everywhere where you have used those images is now worthless. Or they can throttle the download speed, far enough to make it almost unusable (a very standard tactic). All free sites I know of already implement such measures to some degree. And if you are paying for the site, will you pay for it for ever? Especially as it fills up with advertisements and gets difficult to use – as most of them seem to do. It also seems daft to be paying for image storage when EuroGA is free. Sites which carry aviation photos frequently remove them after some time.

Obviously, in most cases, the original poster did not intend that his/her old posts should become worthless after a period of time – especially as the text remains.

As anybody who has spent any time looking for something will know, the internet is full of garbage and a lot of it is garbage because of broken links. It’s very frustrating to the reader!

So I would encourage everyone who wants to make EuroGA a good aviation resource to use the image upload facility because that will preserve your postings and articles without you having to worry about it.

And finally it’s a hell of a lot easier than uploading images to some external site and then getting the link to it!

Please therefore use the Drag/Drop method whenever at all possible – even if this means downloading the image file temporarily to your PC (e.g. right-click and choosing Save Image As, in the browser – or something similar) and then drag/drop uploading it to EuroGA.

For the more IT-advanced people: the Hyperdesktop screenshot program is an excellent way to turn anything displayed anywhere on the PC screen screen into a file. This incidentally enables photos to be cropped as required – many photos especially of aircraft and landscapes are simply too big vertically. Hyperdesktop will normally save the image in c:\screenshots. It can also upload to an FTP site (it comes configured to upload to imgur.com) but this won’t be needed if you use drag/drop on EuroGA. In this age of “software junk”, I find Hyperdesktop a superb timesaver for illustrating posts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
1 Post
Sign in to add your message