Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ANR headsets causing tinnitus?

Testing that would need to be done extremely carefully, and would be IMHO almost impossible because the location of the mike would be critical.

You would probably need one of those dummy heads with internal microphones used for binaural recording.

the best headset, by a wide margin, IMHO, is the A20

Have you tried the Sennheiser S1 Digital? And what about in-ear headsets? Or combination of in-ear and over-ear.

Last Edited by Martin at 05 Apr 14:32

There is a number of threads here about in-ear headsets. The common view is that some of them are very good provided

• you get custom inserts made, to fit your ears, and
  • you don’t pull on the cable otherwise it is easy to create a gap for the noise to get in

The S1 looks good and at the price it ought to be up with the best. I guess they will have a sample to try at Aero 2015… However their website doesn’t list a Lemo plug version which means you are reliant on the batteries, which would be a non-starter for me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is actually an argument against custom molds. But that is another discusion. I was just wondering whether you have considered these options. I find the combination of in-ear and over-ear superior.

It can draw on aircraft power (supports 12-35 VDC) and they offer XLR-3 and cigarette lighter socket adapters. It’s annoying they don’t provide more options like the all-in-one 6-pin Redel. Interestingly some shops offer S1 NoiseGard with 6-pin Redel while this is not featured (AFAIK) on Sennheiser site either (if it’s just an adapter cable, it could be compatible with the Digital). A solution would be a custom adapter cable but, as I wrote, it’s annoying.

Last Edited by Martin at 05 Apr 17:37

Sennheiser S1 discussion continues here please.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi all.

I bought brand new A20 and I am 100% sure it cause my tinnitus!

As my headset arrive I was eager to try them, as you know you get aux cable with them to connect to your tablet or phone for navigation, and i connected my phone to see how is the sound, when you turn them on you get hiss from them like white sound, then i played some music on normal volume and they were as expected for 1000 euro

but that day when I was going to bed i noticed that hiss sound stuck in my ears, i thought it will go away, but no, it didn’t go away at all so I visit a doctor, he confirmed it was from the headset as he had numerous tinnitus cases from ANR headset, and he even asked me was it a Bose headset.

It’s been more than a month and that sound is still in my ears, and for bad luck I have to study for my ATPL and as you know how hard that is, it is even harder with this hissing in you’r ears.

I contacted Bose and they want to test headset to see if its something wrong, but it is not as they work as design, and they are just want to get out of any responsibility.

We need to sue them in a class action, you can just type in google a20 tinnitus and you will find lots of ppl got it from those most expencive headset. Now imagine how much of them got tinnitus from Bose and didn’t comment on the internet..

Croatia

Hi all.

I bought brand new Bose A20 and I am 100% sure it cause my tinnitus!

As my headset arrive I was eager to try them, as you know you get aux cable with them to connect to your tablet or phone for navigation, and i connected my phone to see how is the sound, when you turn them on you get hiss from them like white sound, then i played some music on normal volume and they were as expected for 1000 euro

but that day when I was going to bed i noticed that hiss sound stuck in my ears, i thought it will go away, but no, it didn’t go away at all so I visit a doctor, he confirmed it was from the headset as he had numerous tinnitus cases from ANR headset, and he even asked me was it a Bose headset.

It’s been more than a month and that sound is still in my ears, and for bad luck I have to study for my ATPL and as you know how hard that is, it is even harder with this hissing in you’r ears.

I contacted Bose and they want to test headset to see if its something wrong, but it is not as they work as design, and they are just want to get out of any responsibility. I even said them I am willing to do any medical tests or go on poligraf to confirm I got tinnitus from their headset, as I didn’t had any damage or any noise in my ears before this, and also you don’t get any warnings, in the manual no warnings about tinnitus.

We need to sue them in a class action, you can just type in google a20 tinnitus and you will find lots of ppl got it from those most expencive headset. Now imagine how much of them got tinnitus from Bose and didn’t comment on the internet..

the problem with A20 is they have really pour pasive noise reduction, and that’s why they rely heavily on ANR, and that low freq white noise is causing tinnitus

Croatia

The whole point of ANR headsets like the A20 is that they rely on ANR instead of passive sound insulation. This allows them to be much lighter and more comfortable for a given level of noise reduction.

A google search suggests that some people have drawn some loose correlations between tinnitus and various brands of ANR headsets, but how your doctor could conclusively say that one use of an A20 has caused tinnitus I do not know.

Bose sell hundreds of thousands of their consumer ANR headsets, such as QC35 etc and if this was a real problem it would be everywhere by now.

Last Edited by IO390 at 04 Feb 18:28
United Kingdom

My ANR is the old head clamp DC, and I would suggest your hearing in an SEP will suffer without ANR. Apart from the overbuild aspects of the David Clark (mine are 25 years old plus), I believe the strong passive noise reduction sort of compensates the heavier head clamp style. It also gives some redundancy in case the ANR malfunctions, or you run out of batteries.

I understand a cause of tinnitus is wax build up (tends be worse with age), and using cotton tips. Use wax softener and don’t stick things into your ear canal!

While I recognise the swiss army knife attributes of the 180/182/185/206, those big Continental power plants at 2700 RPM combined with relatively poor soundproofing (door and fuselage design): make sure all occupants have ANR.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

you sound like Bose representative.

“loose correlations” really you know every one of them how they got tinnitus? and you acctualy search all of them in 12 minutes? your are fast I can gave you that.

they sell a lot of them as they have the strongest marketing for any aviation headset in the world.

as I said, I am 100% sure i got tinnitus from A20 as I didn’t had any problems with my ears before, I didn’t even fly 3 weeks before i got my A20

doctor said ANR causes tinnitus, he had lots of ppl developed tinnitus from ANR headset. and ANR in A20 is strong

Croatia

I don’t think tinnitus has anything.to do with wax build up or with age. Le Sving possibly has a point about the brain processing sound and that an ANR headset just does what the brain does naturally and could therefore cause problems.
But tinnitus has been with us for longer than ANR headsets have been in existence and it seems somr babies have been born with tinnitus. The problem is that no one really knows why some people suffer from it and others don’t.
In bad cases it is impossible to cure. Some success has been achieved with hearing aids playing a white noise which AIUI decreases as sounds get louder and then increases as sounds get lower. But such systems AFAIK are still experimental. Personally, I cannot get along with ANR headsets at all. My brain can not process the sudden silence. I am however lucky to have been blessed with excellent hearing and the ability to process different sounds.

France
Sign in to add your message