Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands / Isle of Man / San Marino aircraft registry / register (merged)

quatrelle wrote:

Along the lines of the above …..

So you have your N reg (or G registered) VAT paid aircraft and you transfer it to the 2 registration.

At what stage does the aircraft loose its VAT paid status?

Only if exported for an extended period. Has nothing to do with registration.

EGTK Oxford

Here at Airtime, we have found 2-REG very easy to deal with. We have just finished helping a customer putting a PA-28 onto the 2-Reg and it was a very straight forward process.

@airtime we welcome businesses posting here, but they need to contribute to the forum generally, rather than just drop in a straight advertisement and minimal useful detail

very straight forward process

Perhaps you could describe it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will try my best.

The owner contacted 2-REG direct and applied for the registration, radio license and the certificate of airworthiness. Straight forward simple forms.

As this was a light aircraft, the owner did not need a technical coordinator so the owner is responsible for airworthiness. A 2-REG surveyor was assigned and liaised with the owner and Airtime over the maintenance programme (which can be as straight forward as the EASA MIP) and which regulatory standard the aircraft would follow under the 2-REG (FAA or EASA). The reason for going 2-REG was that FAA approved STCs can be applied if the FAA standards are adopted.

The surveyor visited the maintenance hangar to see the aircraft and review the aircraft records (log books, Airworthiness Directives, modifications, repairs, etc.). The records is often where the aircraft will fail to meet expectations. The records for this aircraft were in good shape (a job that can take a long time for some aircraft) so a few days later the C of A was issued.
The advantage to the 2-REG is that they don’t need to see an Export C of A. As long as the aircraft has proof of current airworthiness, that is acceptable. They don’t seem to require an annual to be completed for the issue of the C of A either.

The C of A issued is one that expires. How much it will cost to renew for a UK-based aircraft, now that 2-REG have a surveyor based in the UK, is yet to be seen.

Tha main thread on the C.I. registers is here and while it seems to be really attractive for getting a plane on it, you need to think of the future i.e. maintenance and pilot licensing.

One thing which came up here is the usability of various medical+license combinations and I am not sure if this was ever answered. Ideally you can use Part 91 maintenance combined with either FAA or EASA licensing and medicals.

Administrator

I was chatting with a feller that sells new and used business jets in Europe, and the gossip was that he was finding many customers were going 2-reg, few M reg, almost nobody N reg unless it was already on that register, and only AOC operators went EASA reg

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Does anyone know the Guernsey 2-reg requirements for

• maintenance
  • licensing
  • medicals
Administrator

2-reg v. N-reg posts merged into previous thread on same topic

I found some good info from someone who is quite involved in all this.

The Guernsey aircraft registry will issue you a validation which (unlike the IOM) is not aircraft specific.

It validates everything on the host licence.

It can be maintained in accordance with either an FAA or EASA (or Transport Canada) schedule.

The only disadvantage with a jet is that 2-REG require an annual C of A. They send a surveyor which isn’t cheap. On the N reg, maintenance is dealt with as it’s due and the aircraft is perpetually airworthy. Regarding piston aircraft, I don’t know.

If for some reason I could not get an FAA medical but could get an EASA one, I would go from my N-reg to 2-reg (and ditch the FAA papers). Most pilots in that situation go to a G-reg Annex 1 and fly on the NPPL with the medical self dec, but that is a UK only VFR only option. Until April 2018 you could fly an N-reg on this NPPL route but since then the CAA has attempted, apparently without legal basis, to withdraw this.

Administrator

According to the 2-reg website, unless the plane is owned by a Channel Island resident natural person (or a Channel Island company owned by Channel Island resident natural persons) for a plane below 2700kg MTOM, this requires that “the aeroplane’s maintenance is managed within Guernsey”. Not maintenance done in Guernsey, but managed within Guernsey. Does this mean that you must have a CAMO and the CAMO is in Guernsey? I don’t know.

ELLX

It may mean that either they send an inspector out (which is what happens with jets; jets typically don’t fly to places to be looked at if you can get somebody to travel to them for 3 or 4 figures instead ) or you have to fly to Guernsey for the Annual.

EDIT: I have phoned ASG to ask. An FAA A&P/IA can do the maintenance, on the mainland, but he needs to be validated by the 2-reg authority. The work does not invalidate the airworthiness so it can be flown to Guernsey for the inspection, which is required every 2 years (the other years it is a paper exercise), provided the CofA has not run out by the time you fly it there. If it runs out, you have to pay for their inspector to come out.

So, for non Guernsey based owners, this is a significant hassle compared to N-reg IF you have a good N-reg maintenance setup back home.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message