Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A pilot watch (mechanical, of course)

I always recommend this – very clear dial, very readable, and if you want a two time-zone display, just buy two, you can afford them…

For anyone seriously using a chronograph for navigation, I recommend
a) spend the money on an iPad and a Skydemon subscription, or
b) buy a proper mechanical stopwatch, other than these chronometers you can read it without squinting to find out which of the hands is the one you are interested in.

But back to the topic of this thread – Jewelry for men. I really like the Omega, one of the least cluttered chronometers out there.

Biggin Hill

The one and only … for me ;-)

That’s certainly a nice one, as most Omegas. But wearing that one at work it would last me about a month I guess… On the rare occasions when I actually wear a watch I usually break something.

Last year I dropped a nice 1970ies or 80ies vintage aviator watch with self-winding mechanical movement onto the concrete at a security check (on a typical work day I have to go through security 5 – 10 times with as many chances of dropping or losing my watch). It still works, but the hour hand jumped a few gears and is not in sync with the minute hand any longer. Getting it repaired is probably more expensive than it’s value.

Another time I broke the glass of a “Victorinox Swiss Army” watch while loading suitcases into the Citation’s baggage compartment. The Frame of the baggage hole is naked aluminium and obviously stronger than what “Swiss Army” specifications require Anyway, all these would-be pilot’s watches with fantasy names (“Swiss Army”, Torgoen, Astroavia, Hirsch, …) are a pure waste of money in my eyes (I know because as a watch collector I have them lying around various drawers at home). Most of them have Ronda movements (which are not bad at all), but if I buy a watch with a Swatch movement, then why not buy a Swatch in the first place? There are some real pretty ones, they are precise, ultra-reliable, absolutely watertight (other than the “replica” Omega Seamaster that I bought at the bazar in Istanbul…) and most of them don’t set off the metal detectors. They come with all sorts of fancy functions that could be useful for pilots like alarm, stopwatch and even altimeters. I like Swatches a lot and actually have a few hundred of them, but more as an investment (doubtful, but better than the zero percent the bank pays) than as tools.

Inspired by this thread I actually wear a watch today! One of the B&R “inspired” things than one can find on eBay for 20 Euros including p&p from HongKong. As it does not say “Bell & Ross” on the dial but “Infantry” instead, the risk of getting it confiscated at customs is low. It is heavy enough to be used as weapon in case they confiscate my “tactical pen” at the security gate and has a luminous display for the secodary functions like stopwatch, alarm and UTC. So far, no water has come inside, but I am still skeptical if it will survive the work day – there are more suitcases to load this evening

Last Edited by what_next at 05 Nov 11:36
EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes – most “nice” quartz watches use Ronda movements and most “nice” automatic watches use the Valjoux/ETA 7750

I think the most expensive watch I have seen which uses the ETA movement was best part of €10,000 and I saw it in a shop on Elba. Locman?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I prefer high contrast black on white simple look automatic ones, without gadgets on them, without relying on batteries even if I have once in a while to adjust the time.

I prefer DAY of week and DATE display and off course this has got nothing to do with my flying but rather the first few moments after I wake up in the morning

Its a fetish nowadays, not a needed tool. In summer holidays on the beach I enjoy the watch-less life.

My two favorite ones purchased over last 10 years or so which still hold on well:

The ~500 Euro one
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/aviation/pilot-auto/h64715135

The 2.500~3.000 Euro one
http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/pilots/IW3777/

In summer, arm’s sweat does not go well with leather straps.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I really like Breitlings, especially the idea behind the Emergency. However, they tend to be just too big for me (especially the latest ones) and for the most part (those operated using just the one crown), their pilot watches are just too difficult to use. Omegas are better at this. Other than that, I really like the Sinn. From the more utilitarian pieces to their “Financial District” line. They have their version of Navitimer as well (they bought a licence). For the money, wonderful craftsmanship. You might want to take a look at Japanese watches, especially the JDM ones.

I’m also one of those people torn between function and beauty. I really like mechanical watches. Or even the ridiculously accurate quartz watches. But they usually don’t offer many functions. It’s really nice to have a solar powered watch that can automatically adjust time zones or DST, has several alarms etc. However, a phone can do that as well.

Peter wrote:

and most “nice” automatic watches use the Valjoux/ETA 7750

That won’t be the case anymore (or for long). IIRC, Swatch won’t supply them anymore to competition. I don’t know the details as, for example, Sinn still seems to offer watches with this movement, but several new were developed as a result to replace the 7750.

Will be happy to sell you my Breitling Emergency 121.5, good condition, serviced in Feb/ (if memory works), small scratch on the glass, all boxes and docs available,

@Ben If that was at me, then thank you, but I’m not interested. As I wrote, I think it’s too cumbersome to use to be useful in a cockpit. It has only 5 bar water resistance, I would really like to see more in a tool watch. For a fashion accessory it’s way too big for me. If I wanted that, there is the Aerospace Evo (a very similar design but without the beacon). It’s significantly smaller (still a tad big for me) and even has 10 bar WR, yay. Not to mention that if I wanted the Emergency, I would want the newer 406 MHz version as the beacon is for me the only reason to buy it instead of the Aerospace Evo. Co-Pilot module can make these watches more interesting but price-wise it’s like buying another watch (and you are, in fact).

Speaking of water resistance. I quite like the already mentioned X-33 Skywalker. Easier to use than Breitlings with just the crown. But 3 bar WR? What kind of a sick joke is that? I know that published ratings are more of a marketing tool but that’s low. I would like to see what Omega thinks this is good for because watchmakers are sometimes unbelievably conservative in this.

I see Breitling now do a dual band ELT watch.

It is 121.50 and 406MHz.

I wonder if it can possibly be any good, with such a tiny battery. They make incredible claims eg 18hrs endurance.

http://www.breitling.com/en/emergency/

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder if it can possibly be any good, with such a tiny battery. They make incredible claims eg 18hrs endurance.

Since the last software update my (company) iPhone’s battery lasts for only 8 hours… and this thing is not transmitting constantly. But who knows. Anyway, for the money they ask for this contraption one can also buy a very pretty “human wrist sized” as opposed to “incredible Hulk wrist sized” watch, a PLB for himself and the wife and have money left for a year’s supply of AVGAS.

Last Edited by what_next at 17 Feb 15:28
EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message