Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Airborne_Again wrote:

I see not reason whatsoever that the UK should leave EUROCONTROL.

To take back CONTROL ?

Anyone have any insight about how my F-reg aircraft currently in maintenance in NI will be treated if still there on Jan 1st? Anything to worry about?

EIMH, Ireland

Look at this thread – especially towards the end. My understanding is you should be OK.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Also here.

That video is worth watching whole.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, I understand the aviation stuff OK…more concerned from an ‘importation’ point of view, but post 51 in the Brexit/VAT thread seems to clear it up. I don’t think an EASA aircraft normally resident in an EASA member state should be in trouble just because it’s in the UK on Jan 1st.

EIMH, Ireland

Someone pointed out to me today that it is rather crazy that the UK is allowing holders of non UK issued LAPLs to fly in the UK, while Brussels is not allowing UK issued LAPLs to fly in the EU, all while the LAPL is hardly a UK invention…

I guess all those UK pilots who avoided the LAPL like the plague and went for the full PPL, are pretty happy about it.

From here it looks like very roughly 10% of UK private pilot license issues may be LAPLs, but that doesn’t tell us what % of the active pilot group are LAPLs. My guess would be much less than 10%, because most of the ~1500 LAPLs issued to UK pilots, since the LAPL started, will have packed it up.

They may as well have gone for the NPPL – except that has had the “can’t fly certified aircraft” cloud over it. That cloud came ~ April 2020 but is likely to be lifted 1st Jan 2021.

Administrator

Looking at e.g. this I am not sure anybody can tell what will happen to flight training (well, visa etc requirements).

Most likely the UK will allow EU people into the UK for “study” (not least because higher education is a fantastic moneymaker and UK universities, which are still, amazingly in some cases, highly regarded, would collapse without foreign students, and supporting local business is one thing the UK wants to do and Brussels doesn’t want to let it ) but along with most other stuff Brussels is not likely to reciprocate after 1st Jan 2021. But then we just don’t know; a “no deal brexit” is just a “brexit with no overall deal before 31 Dec 2020” and lots of specific-activity deals will continue to be done through 2021. The worst case is a student visa.

With the cv19-caused recession arriving across most sectors, closing overseas operations is going to be a long term trend to concentrate resources and expertise back at “the base” while preserving the jobs you really want to preserve. It’s the same thing as closing manufacturing in China (where nowadays most businessmen are looking for a fast buck and will screw you over if they get even 1% of a chance) and moving it back home (although probably continuing to buy cheap and simple small parts from China) and this is exactly what I have been doing. Hedging bets against difficult student visa requirements may be a part of it but I don’t think this will happen because in the end every EU country is looking at its own economy, and 100k spent at a Spanish “educational establishment” is 100k which Spain would not otherwise have. Brussels is likely to mandate student visas but that doesn’t mean Country X will make you sell your granny to get it

For the first time in many weeks, the Lydd IAP was busy as hell on Tuesday when I called up, and rather typically of GA one pompous+anonymous FTO instructor told me rudely over the radio “book like everybody else”. Well, half the FTOs who book slots don’t turn up, or turn up half an hour late, so wasting the whole hour they have booked, which is why turning up on the off chance works so well

Administrator

Looks as if Class D VMC minima are going back to being more sensible
link CAP493 local copy

Seems like a positive move to me.

Interesting. I wonder what the

Aviation Safety (Amendment) Regulations 2021

Referred to are?

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message