Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Peter wrote:

I think they probably will because the Dept for Transport will want it, but it may not happen right away.

Hopefully not. The most recent version of the ANO does not require dual papers even for G-reg for non-EASA aircraft. It’s how I’ve been bypassing this entire mess that has been going on for years, as having a non-EASA aircraft I’ve just been able to keep up FAA papers which is generally far more trouble free (although the death of our island’s only AME – for both FAA and EASA, means I’m probably going to have to find a route that doesn’t require me to keep up a medical that requires anything more than my local GP)

Andreas IOM

Dimme wrote:

Do you have a reference backing that? Northern Ireland is UK.

All Northern Ireland born people also count as Irish citizens and can get Irish passports.

Andreas IOM

Indeed that is true of anyone who has a grandparent born in NI. (My brother-in-law has no Irish heritage at all, but his great-grandmother just happened to be passing through Belfast when she went into labour; he is now an Irish citizen.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

as having a non-EASA aircraft I’ve just been able to keep up FAA papers which is generally far more trouble free

Gosh, what non EASA aircraft can be flown on FAA papers?? That sounds like a holy grail!

OK, a G-reg RV (etc) can be, but only inside UK airspace.

(although the death of our island’s only AME – for both FAA and EASA, means I’m probably going to have to find a route that doesn’t require me to keep up a medical that requires anything more than my local GP)

The 61.75 route allows you to fly an N-reg on an EASA medical, and this has been a life saver for many, who got bogged down in the FAA Special Issuance process which is poorly understood by most European based FAA AMEs. But you apparently can’t get a 61.75 if you already have a standalone FAA PPL (previous threads on that too).

I would have thought that an AME on the Isle of Man would be a license to print money!

OTOH you can fly the G-reg RV on the NPPL with the medical self declaration…

I can’t see any route to fly a plane on FAA papers and fly it outside the UK, without an FAA or EASA medical.

The most recent version of the ANO does not require dual papers

That is actually a very interesting observation. The CAA incorporated more or less all of EASA regs in the ANO, but avoided this one, yet this cannot be an oversight because it is HUGE. The CAA has traditionally not tried to attack the N-reg community, while accepting the DfT “owns” the policy on N-regs – details in one of the letters here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

Do you have a reference backing that? Northern Ireland is UK.

How dare you to ask Qalupalik that

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

But it won’t affect us until after we leave the EU, and by then we won’t have EU Citizens Rights. We’ll be back to being Subjects of a State with no written constitution.

The Commission’s threat to deprive holders of UK-issued EASA licences of existing privileges applies mainly to residents of the EU27 – i.e. pilots who want to fly an EU27-reg aircraft in EU27 airspace.

As for the rights of UK citizens, we have the Common Law, Magna Carta, Habeas Corpus, the Bill (Claim in Scotland) of Rights 1689, the Human Rights Act to name but a few. We are (perhaps ) leaving the EU, not the Council of Europe or the European Convention.

Lastly, the Charter of Fundamental Rights applies to all institutions implementing Union law, irrespective of the residency or nationality of the victims of any breach of the Charter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The CAA incorporated more or less all of EASA regs in the ANO, but avoided this one, yet this cannot be an oversight because it is HUGE

It’s not an oversight. They specifically mentioned it in the summary of the consultation process for the 2016 ANO, and specifically dismissed the arguments against allowing 3rd country licenses to fly non-EASA UK registered aircraft.

Andreas IOM

This came on email from IAOPA:

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But you better make sure you are on the safe side.

Which is exactly what I’ve done.

Well, yes, if you don’t live in the UK anyway, and have no need for a UK connection anymore, why keep UK papers? It’s not logical.

It is the “UK is going to melt down” view which I don’t get. These people are likely to regret jumping off the “social media sinking ship”. There is/was an old saying in investment: “buy on the 3rd profit warning”. The psychology behind it is obvious: humans tend to get into a mess and then bang heads together and do something about it. The problem with social media is that you now get not 3 but 3000 “profit warnings” every day you open facebook, so the whole world fills up with doom and depression. Aviation also tends to be full of “glass half empty” types (there is actually a good reason for that too: only the careful i.e. the ones who keep watching their 6 o’clock, survive… the Apollo programme was not run by cheer leader personalities) so the whole thing goes round and round nicely…

Right now, I reckon my best insurance against the stuff that goes on in Europe (EASA driven, currently, mainly, via their “screw the US” policies) is my FAA papers. My FAA CPL/IR is valid for life. I just need a BFR every 2 years, and the Class 3 medical. The IR takes care of itself via rolling currency. Maintenance is also much easier to manage…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message