Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Peter wrote:

The CAA UK is known for its fast and good service.

Bahahaha

Kent, UK

One point worth a mention is that, post brexit, you may need at least 6 months left on your passport to travel out of the UK.

The general advice is hard to find from the Govt but it normally goes something like this:

Passports for British citizens are valid for travel to any EU country up to and including the passport expiry date. Some countries outside of the EU require a British passport to have a certain period of validity left on it, such as 6 months, or blank pages.

A bit more detail is here.

Clearly nobody can tell how this will pan out. Looking at some recent developments (e.g. Spain saying the ~200k Brits can stay if the UK reciprocates) suggest that the obvious will happen: deals will be done along lines of coinciding mutual interest. And there is no interest anywhere in Europe in requiring a 6 month minimum validity.

My passport was expiring April 2019 and the standard 3 week renewal time is a hassle because you cannot go abroad at all, obviously. So I used the “visit to London” route which can usually be done the day after getting the form from a post office, £180, and did it over xmas.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the obvious will happen: deals will be done along lines of coinciding mutual interest. And there is no interest anywhere in Europe in requiring a 6 month minimum validity.

The core interest in hurting Britain and to make it brutally clear what an exit from the Union means for anyone who dares to take on the Brussels establishment lies with the heads of the European Union, not the individual member states. Consequently, an expulsion of Britain from EASA is quite likely in case a no-deal Brexit happens. The EU as the organisation has a lot to loose from a successful post Brexit UK, so they will wage economical and bureaucratic war to prevent that from happening at all cost.

Spain has all the interest of keeping the British retirees happy as they are a massive source of income for the regions concerned. The same goes for other countries which have British Expat communities who keep the locals busy and financed. Past Brexit however, they will need to reconsider how to deal with them in terms of legal status, they are no longer member of the free movement of people, so the proper way of doing this will be to offer them either citizenship or permanent residence on the base of their third country citizenship. This in return may well result in current passport conventions not being reckognized anymore and similar rules imposed as for visitors/residents from non EU states. The choice for that may not even lie within Spain (other than offering citizenship) because it will be something which must be decided on a Schengen level how to deal with British passports and citizens, when to allow them entry and when not. I would not even put it past them to eventually threaten or enforce Visa requirements, i.e. that UK citizens would need to apply for a Schengen Visum to be able to enter and travel within the Schengen zone, which then would probably be promptly replicated by the UK. Clearly there can be other solutions but that is how far it can go if the hardliners on both sides have their say.

The consequences for pilots licenses and registrations will be clear: British licenses will allow flying G-Reg and exactly that, nothing else without validation. Whether EASA will set up a way for post Brexit UK license holders to get a EASA wide validation or even offer them EASA licenses on the base of their previous previleges is up to anyone’s guess and probably not within the power of EASA itself but the European Comission, who even currently do everything in their power to block GA friendly EASA decisions. The most probable scenario I would envision is that there will be a requirement for dual license (UK national and EASA) for those who will like to continue flying EASA registered planes.

What I regard as likely however unless the real hardliners take a total victory over more reasonable folks is that there would be a transition period during which UK licenses will keep their EASA privileges and can be converted and vice versa, possibly the two years previously mentioned. This would be quite necessary to avoid a total meltdown mainly for professionals who need their licenses converted one way or the other. For GA purposes, I suppose AOPA is quite right suggesting that those who so far have held UK papers or registrations while being EU residents or citizens or both have to carefully consider their personal future and likely move their airplanes and licenses to EU or EASA member states as a precaution.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

…the European Comission, who even currently do everything in their power to block GA friendly EASA decisions.
They do?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Consequently, an expulsion of Britain from EASA is quite likely in case a no-deal Brexit happens

Well. EASA is part of EU. Still, EASA is not only EU. EASA is the quintessential example of the multinational free trade, free movement, common rules etc – “thing” a non EU member country can join. It’s a win – win situation for everyone involved with commercial aviation at least (private GA is another matter )

But, for a non EU member to join, there has to be some sort of agreement. If UK leaves with no agreement, then the result is crystal clear.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

EASA is the quintessential example of the multinational free trade, free movement, common rules etc – “thing” a non EU member country can join.

Join yes. I don’t think anyone has envisioned a situation where a member state looses EU membership. The question may be whether loosing EU membership (volontary nor not) means automatically the loss of EASA membership too. I think that is what the legal eagles will have hen fights over.

The point where the UK might loose EASA membership is that in order to be a member of EASA, decisions of the European Court have to be respected, which is one of the points which were one of the reasons for Brexit, exactly that decisions of this court would no longer have to be adhered to. If the UK refuses to acknowledge the rule of the European Court, then EASA membership will be in serious question.

LeSving wrote:

It’s a win – win situation for everyone involved with commercial aviation at least (private GA is another matter )

it may well be for GA as well, at least in those countries which are more restrictive than EASA’s GA roadmap is going to be. However, this would require that the roadmap will finally get past the EC where a lot of the initiatives have been stalled for quite some time. Looking at the opinions page at EASA, it appears that once an opinion has been sent forth it takes considerable time till it gets adopted if at all.

LeSving wrote:

If UK leaves with no agreement, then the result is crystal clear.

Well, as EASA membership is possible without EU membership it is not necessarily so crystal clear, but it depends on the attitude the government will take towards the question of membership in any EU organisations in the future. Apart, it will be quite frustrating to be a member and not to have a voting right. Which is one bit I believe EASA has to change anyway if it does allow membership for non EU member states.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well, as EASA membership is possible without EU membership it is not necessarily so crystal clear

Without an agreement it is.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My plane is currently in a UK maintenance facility ‘awaiting a part’. It would be quite something if after almost a year that it couldn’t be released to service because the engineer is no longer recognised by EASA! I wonder if the prudent thing to do it get a permit-to-fly and get it out of there before March 29th regardless of whether the part arrives or not.

EIMH, Ireland

I recently completed my theoretical CBIR exams via the CAA.I hold a UK EASA MEP Land license.
I was hoping to do my practical training in the UK with my D-Reg aircraft at a UK ATO in April.
Will I be able to if a hard Brexit happens?

LGMG, Cyprus

Worst case scenario, it will be like training today for CBIR in a N-reg with an ATO? (Very easy process today, except they may ask to use another aircraft to do the exam), best case scenario, buisness as usual (brexit in name only)?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message