Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Thks,the way it looks now…I might not be able to fly my D reg aircraft in Europe(Cyprus) with a UK license and visa versa after end March if I have this right.

LGMG, Cyprus

Going back to basics, what is the process in Germany for validation of an ICAO license?

For example what is the procedure for flying a D reg if you have an Australian PPL?

That is the worst case post Brexit, because UK papers are full ICAO (UK national PPL and UK issued EASA PPL).

A search finds this
https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/3914-german-validation-of-us-pilots-license
but one of the many German pilots here will know the latest.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Last night I was talking with a Belgian friend who has a French licence and lives in France. He has just bought a G-reg Mooney from either Spain or Portugal, I can’t remember which, and he was asking whether I thought that he should re – register the a/c in a EU country and if so which and if he needed to act quickly.
I told him that the consensus of opinion on this forum seems to be that he should and to do it soon.
He then asked if during the re-registration process he could still use the aircraft or if it had to be laid up during this process and how long does it take. Does anyone know?

France

As soon as you deregister from the current country you can’t fly. This is a prequisite to getting a cert of registration in the new country which is in turn a prerequisite to getting a CofA and ARC. Altogether at least 4-6 weeks assuming all is well with the logs.

EIMH, Ireland

The UK CAA has written that – come what may – a non-UK EASA flight crew licence will confer/retain all existing rights in UK airspace for two years after independence.

Whatever the Commission’s current negotiating stance, I simply can’t believe believe that our friends in the EU-27 will not reciprocate. Yes, I know, we’re talking about a group of countries which loaded people into cattle trucks and turned them into [deleted], but it was only a few, and it was long ago. The younger generation is altogether different, they are our friends, not at all petty or spiteful.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Yes, I know, we’re talking about a group of countries which…
That was a rather unnecessary comment, was it not? Particularly given the composition of EU-27.
Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Jan 08:06
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks to all for their imput.
To be honest it still is quite confusing,according to the UK ATO that I want to do the training with,They will not be able to train me on my D Reg aircraft with their UK license and my UK license in the UK after ther 30/3 unless there is an agreement of sorts.Their recommendation is to change my aircraft reg to G….but if I do,what happens after that in EU airspace..I suppose ICAO law rules then!

LGMG, Cyprus

Some UK ATOs have N-regs and do training on them as well as train in owners N-regs, the rules fot these are far more hassle than any outcome for a D-reg after “brits judgement day”, you are probably talking to the wrong guys or they simply they don’t want to bother (thinking) untill the dust clears up….

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 09:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Iptamenos wrote:

I might not be able to fly my D reg aircraft in Europe(Cyprus) with a UK license and visa versa after end March if I have this right.

If you own a D-Reg and do not intend to fly G-Reg in the future then indeed moving your licence into the EU is probably a wise step to take. And the concern of your ATO in the UK is valid if things go totally pear shaped then it may well be the case, moreover your IR if you do it with them may well not be EASA reckognized then. That is the worst scenario however, yet one can’t be sure. Personally I still think there is a chance the UK will remain within EASA, but if the EU 27 will play hardball with the March date, then things may well get out of hand.

Personally I think that the common sense thing to do is to have your license within EASA in any case. As for training it is extremely difficult to predict what may happen. The logical thing may be that ATO’s in the UK will apply for reckognition by EASA, as some of the US outfits have, and then will be able to again train you on EASA airplanes. In fact, it will be a very interesting legal situation, as they ARE certified right now and whether their certificates lapse with the UK possibly leaving EASA is a totally different matter. I see no legal ground for that to happen, but it may welll do so. It all depends on which stance the EC and EU27 will take in case of an unregulated Brexit.

From my point of view I would not trust either of the governments, neither UK nor EU, to come up with a solution which satisfies anyone, at least initially. So if you want to play safe, seeing that you are in Cyprus and your plane is D-Reg, moving your licence and training to a sure EASA state will probably be the safest way.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

gallois wrote:

He has just bought a G-reg Mooney from either Spain or Portugal, I can’t remember which, and he was asking whether I thought that he should re – register the a/c in a EU country and if so which and if he needed to act quickly.

Seeing as the UK CAA appears to have made the statement that a non-UK EASA licence will be reckognized by the UK for at least 2 years, this would imply that he could fly his G-Reg for that time with his EASA license. However, it may well be easier to transfer register while the UK is still EASA, transferring from one EASA state to the other should be easier than from later on a third country to EASA. So I agree with your recommendation that it should be done fast.

Some folks have done this if I am not mistaken recently and EASA/EASA the process should be quite painless and not that long. The question is capacity of the UK-CAA at the moment when quite a few people are doing the same thing.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message