Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How old are you ? How old, when you started to fly ?

First flight at age 1 (about 18 months old)
Lots of weekend flight wih my dad in my childhood
First lesson at 15
BB (basic license) at 19 after 2 years without any flying
PPL at 23
IR someday

LFOU, France

I was born into a very anti-flying family and community backround. Got away at 17.
Gliders at 18, £0.20 per flight with instructor, £0.15 per launch solo. Not a soaring site.
PPL on Jackeroo biplane taildragger for £135 + £2.50 to club at 23 (food and accomodation included.)
Couldn’t afford to fly 24 -45.
Passed PPL again in 1987,and bought a Jodel DR1050 share for £1600 in 1990.
Still a member of the Jodel Group, and flying with an EASA Class 2.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

First lesson 21 Tiger Moth £4
Flt Nav 29
PPL 43
CPL/IR 44
ATPL49
Great 50 years

Started flying aged 15
CPL aged 19
No medical aged 23
Returned to flying aged 37
Now 46

Is there a prize for being the oldest when you started

60 now, 56 pushing 57 when I had my first lesson.

I’m sure there must be others out there who started later in life than me.

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

PJL wrote:

I’m sure there must be others out there who started later in life than me.

Yeah I guess. Of the two fellow students in my theory lessons one was your age and one was older!

Last Edited by MedEwok at 04 Aug 20:47
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I am 60 on the outside, 18 on the inside.

When I was 13, I used to hang around EGSP Sibson, and people took me flying (mainly Austers) in exchange for holding ladders while they changed bulbs etc.

By 14 I was doing odd jobs to get enough money to pay for lessons (£6 per hour) and getting everyone to club together for birthday and Xmas presents.

In those days, you could not go solo until 17, so I went solo on my 17th birthday and had my licence in two months after that (and a year before I had a driving licence.)

Night and IMC very shortly after
IR at 25
CPL at 28
ATPL at 30
Jet command at 36
Redundant at 37 :-(

And now, at the age of 60, I am being offered, out of the blue, my fantasy job in aviation, to manage and fly the mixed jet and piston fleet of a wealthy individual. It just gets better and better.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Dreamed of flying since I was a small child.

First ride in a Victa Airtourer that landed on our farm when I was about 8

First lesson 1991 at age 27

PPL over 18 months later in 1993….took so long due to a combination of difficulty in lining up tropical weather, available aircraft and available instructors in Singapore…. I should have done it in my home country of Australia… Would have taken a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost!!

53 soon…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

44-34

At 34, got offered a job that meant 3 months off work when I couldn’t travel because of kids’ school. Did my PPL in a month at Denham with now defunct Cabair. Flew 20h the following year (combination of complications with booking aircraft at the club, family (3 kids so we can’t travel in a pa28) and the ’08 crash meaning I was doing 14h days), decided to give up, then heard from a friend that White Waltham had a six seater for rent. Agreed with my wife that if we could fly as a family, it was a hobby worth pursuing.

Went there and talked to the CFI David Coe about flying it, made a plan with him (PA28R then IMC rating then PA32) which rather amazingly worked. At 108h of which 70 dual I was flying a high performance single all around the UK and France with my family onboard, which is in retrospect somewhat scary.

The next great bit of luck came when my wife did the safety pilot course at White Waltham, showed great talent for it and loved it, did her PPL and IMC rating (now IR(R)).

Quickly ran into the limitations of the aircraft and lack of IR for use as a reliable mean of transportation. Flew with a friend in his PA46, loved it, showed it to my wife. Within a year did my night rating, took my IR at Wycombe, did my piggyback FAA with all the paperwork and IR test, and bought the airplane from him. Now 780h total of which ~500 in that aircraft. Have had one mechanical issue which forced us to cancel the return leg of a trip (I posted about this here), but otherwise haven’t cancelled a single trip for weather or mechanical issues.

EGTF, LFTF

I am 26 now. Started flying at age 16, PPL at 18, CPL/IR at 21, have logged about 850 hours in total.

Sign in to add your message