Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pretty cool clip of a PC12 on tiny uphill grass field - Locher, Italy

It’s not an airport – it’s a farm strip.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Good video for a briefing. All looks pretty normal for float plane, helicopter, or back country flying… keep away from the wires and bridges, don’t hit anything hard, and land in the right spot!

It blew my mind when I started flying on floats, because with a land plane I didn’t normally fly below 2000 feet agl. With a float plane I normally don’t fly above 500 feet (unless required to for people, structures or built up areas). My wife now thinks it is boring to be above 1000 feet . You have to know where the obstacles are and keep your eyes open!!!!

It can be an eye opener when airplanes fly in a way you are not accustomed to. I recall riding a 737 (with a gravel kit) out of the Diavik diamond mine in the Canadian Arctic. They have a flight in and out of the small gravel strip everyday to bring in fresh produce and take away the small pouch of sparkly diamonds. It is was a charter, so the pilots can do what they want… during the Caribou migration we used to go sight-seeing and flying figure-eights. The pilots would say ‘okay everybody out the right windows now… here we go for the left side…" At the time I was blown away because I thought jets only went ’up’ to the flight levels and I didn’t think you could go sight-seeing at low level. I don’t think anyone blinked at the few extra minutes of flight time.

To each their own…

Although not the same place here is another arctic gravel strip.

He is a classic of early 737’s at Hope CYHE

Although it is not my photo, here is what Hope looks like from a Cessna.

Last Edited by Canuck at 11 Nov 17:39
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Wonder how he deals with winter conditions taxiing down that steep taxiway. Maybe he moves the PC12 during the winter months!?

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 12 Nov 06:41
Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

This is interesting to watch – there are quite a few hazards right after take off – or just before landing. Just look at the cables…

I think that looks great fun!

How do you think the engine and prop move around a little on the video? You’d expect that to remain in a fixed position unless perhaps his camera has some sort of ‘steadicam’ type mount.

Hi,

this is where i started my flying career with gliders around 1986. It is the glider flying site Dörnberg, near Kassel. Looking back at it i wonder, why i never got frightened, but when you learn to fly and land like that from the beginning you actually never wonder and accept it as being normal. Enjoy.

Carmine

Last Edited by slowflyer at 12 Nov 09:49
EDAQ, Germany

EDDP nice video, but looks OK for a PC12 (750 metres?), and reasonably smooth. Decision to go around may need to be taken early.

Is that Kusel or Essweiler – am in the area next week so will try and drop in – albeit in a PA18.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Nice @slowflyer. I learned to fly there too. Close by is a landing site that resembles a bit an aircraft carrier. You come in too shallow … I flew solo from there for the first time and still reminder the pain in my backside from all the “congratulations” :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

Hi Stephan,

yes, I think you are talking about this one, please ignore the stupid movie title:

It is quite a nice landscape to fly and land gliders.
When did you fly there? I did the final third of my training preceding the and the first solo in 1986 in an ASK 21 because another student had just crashed the ASK 13 during that time. Unfortunately no time left for flying gliders, just FINC (Fuel Into Noise Converter) flying available for me.
Funny to meet somebody on this forum who also did fly there.

Carmine

Last Edited by slowflyer at 12 Nov 21:27
EDAQ, Germany

Nice to see some (former) German glider pilots here! I´ve recently returned from a trip to the US, finally did my FAA PPL checkride there. I wondered what the fuss landing at Cedar Key was all about, needing an extra signoff by a CFI, but the 2300ft strip there is pretty much the shortest one on a public field they have in Florida. Funny, when you have learned to fly on a 10ft wide, 1300ft “runway” where the departure end is differing by 10° or so to the approach end….let alone Doernberg airfield with all the hills around.

I´m so glad having learned to fly gliders at a young age in demanding environments. It takes away the fear of the unknown, and gives you a solid basis to master all kind of challenges, be it mountain flying, short field operations or engine-out-landings.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

@slowflyer – amazing! My grandparents live one village over in Ahnatal – visiting as a kid we often walked up the Dörnberg to see the gliders. It was only when I learnt to fly that I realised just how dodgy those landing strips are!

EGEO
Sign in to add your message