Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Is Foreflight available for Europe (VFR/IFR) yet?

always learning
LO__, Austria

FF says the new European version will be out this summer…

In SD, egen beginning my flight, I press Go Flying. Are there any similar option in FF? I had a quick look into FF, but I could not find that option. It looked like I always had to file a flightplan to go through the process in FF.

Johan M
ESTT, ESMS

Snoopy, ForeFlight has announced that the product is made available this summer. What this mean in terms of time remains to be seen, but it is currently targeted for the next release (10.1). New version is on display at EBACE, Aero FR and Aero UK where the final feature lineup can be seen.

EKOD, Denmark

Johan_M wrote:

FF says the new European version will be out this summer…

Does anyone know how this new European version will be different from the current version? I have been using FF for just under a year now with Europe VFR/IFR charts, including geo-ref for the charts that are to scale. I didn’t get to see the new version at AERO. I thought they had some of the new features on their web site, but all I can find now is what was announced with 10 which is now out (10.0.1).

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Does anyone know how this new European version will be different from the current version?

https://foreflight.com/europe/data/

EGTK Oxford

See this announcement from ForeFlight: ForeFlight Europe at EBACE

KUZA, United States

It looks like they’re changing their pricing model a bit with Jepp. That could be …. “interesting”.

I’ve been a bit frustrated by their current Jepp IFR/VFR Europe coverage and the ball goes back and forth between FF & Jepp. In a nutshell, the coverage they present on their web site at the moment (just a coverage map) isn’t aligned with the actual Jepp reality, which is slightly different between IFR & VFR. Jepp communication about their geo coverage per subscription is poor in general anyway.

A lot of the above announcement is already in FF 10, but they seem to have done some work in the flight/route planning area in addition to the inclusion of non-Jepp AIP coverage which is new. The latter looks like the start of a work in progress, so I suspect it to evolve rather quickly (e.g. DFS AIP/VAC(?) included but not CH Skyguide, country coverage still limited).

LSZK, Switzerland

From link in post #48:

If they are offering Eurocontrol routing only in the top version, that is bad news and isn’t going to get very far with those who fly IFR (as well as VFR). We do need a backup for the Autorouter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If they are offering Eurocontrol routing only in the top version, that is bad news and isn’t going to get very far.

Peter, I think you will find that is referring to wind and fuel optimised routings.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

If they are offering Eurocontrol routing only in the top version, that is bad news and isn’t going to get very far with those who fly IFR (as well as VFR). We do need a backup for the Autorouter.

Peter,

The current version only provides Autorouting for the performance subscription. One of the European specific version features will be to provide Autorouting to all subscription levels.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message