Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Headsets (merged)

Thank you all for your helpful responses.

Zulu 2 is comfortable and I see that mypilotstore is offering a USD125 rebate if I trade in a DC headset (I have another passive one) which would make it USD675 – much cheaper than UK/EU prices notwithstanding the UK referendum induced forex oscillations. Actually, I can probably sell them on ebay for £120-£150 which may make more sense.

Although I do agree with @dublinpilot and the top end seems to be Bose A20/Zulu 2, comfort and quality will be the driver over price.

@Peter – if the Luscombe flew at 138knots, I would be flying with the angels, as my wings would have slipped the surly bonds of the fuselage . But seriously, I get your point. Either way, if the ANR prevents the ringing getting irritating / worse, that is the main thing.

@172driver – I have not been able to try a Bose so will see if it is possible to get one shipped to the outlet store. Thanks.

@Roger – let us know what you think of the QT Halos when you get them.

Last Edited by CKN at 13 Jul 16:15
CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

I have been using a Sennheiser 110 headset for about 10 years but I noticed on a recent flight of 2 hours duration, that the cups were exerting some uncomfortable pressure on my ears. I know it will vary from pilot to pilot as to the size of ones head and ears etc but I would be keen to know what other pilots feel about their headsts comfort on flights of two hours plus. I also read that Sennheiser has exited the GA market as of March 2016, so I will have to think of an alternative brand.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

I use these and I’m perfectly happy with them. Bit expensive tho.

Last Edited by Bobo at 06 Oct 14:28
EHTE, Netherlands

At work am provided with Bose A20 – comfortable but occasionally I need a say again to hear what ATC said – may be due to age, mine, not the headset.

In the SC either Pooley’s or second hand DC with some after kit ANR. The Pooley’s probably last ten years and I don’t find them uncomfortable. The DCs will probably continue to work after several geological eras. For some reason they also seem clearer with ATC, but may be psychological.

If you wear glasses, the thinnest possible arms improve reception and comfort.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I cannot comfortably wear DCs and similar headsets on long flights (too clamping), so a while ago I tested several different brands. Did not particularly like Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser, and Bose (I think it was still model X, not A20) had narrow earcups that kept rubbing against my ears. The ones I liked a lot were Flightcom Denali (which I bought):

and Telex Stratus (the PNR version is called Echelon):

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I’ve had my Bose-X now for something like 9 years and am still happy with it. Had a repair and some maintenance done by Bose about 4 years ago (I think there was an issue with the mic, can’t really remember) and it soldiers on. Today there are many more ANR options available, but it’s very hard to compare, as you’d really have to fly with them to notice a difference.

Propman wrote:

I also read that Sennheiser has exited the GA market as of March 2016

Not only the GA market, but the aviation market in general (with the exception of ATC headsets). What a shame! If my Sennheiser headset gives up before I lose my license (luckily our technicians replaced the foam cushions when they were still available) I will probably get myself a Telex 850. I have flown with non ANR Telex headsets (the 850 has active noise reduction) on piston twins and jets and found them very comfortable (you hardly feel them at all) and perfectly adequate. But I never tried an 850 in a piston single so I really don’t know if it can handle that environment.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

I will probably get myself a Telex 850. I have flown with non ANR Telex headsets (the 850 has active noise reduction) on piston twins and jets and found them very comfortable (you hardly feel them at all) and perfectly adequate. But I never tried an 850 in a piston single so I really don’t know if it can handle that environment

I have them and don’t like them. The ANR is poor in a jet let alone a single piston (it requires no batteries but this is the problem as there is not enough power in the mic circuit to get proper NR). I got DC Pro-X and really like them.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Oct 18:23
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

The ANR is poor in a jet let alone a single.

Good to know, thanks! One more reason to pamper my Sennheiser as long as it lasts…

EDDS - Stuttgart

D-C Pro-X

See the last post. It is no good for piston aircraft.

I have changed from Bose X to Bose A20 and the A20 is great – better than anything else out there. The Bose X does have some comparables today (years after it came out) but the A20 is substantially ahead and had me checking the instruments because something didn’t seem right!

The A20 does make your ears a bit more sweaty though. I don’t notice it anymore but when I changed from the X I did. The X sits more on top of the ear, whereas the A20 covers it.

Unfortunately the A20 is expensive and if that didn’t matter the other makers would be out of business… Bose are milking the GA scene for all they can. And – unlike in the USA – their service in Europe is IME crap.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message