Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why you should not have a hipster beard

That’s actually quite an old rumour, and is used with lipstick, face creams, etc.

I vaguely recall a previous discussion on it. The partial pressure of oxygen, even in a pressure mask such as is used at 60000ft, is not enough to ignite any of that stuff, by a long way.

What will ignite is certain greases if used in high pressure (2000psi say) pipework fittings. One has to use special greases – if any grease is used at all.

Mind you, cosmetics / face creams make a right mess on headsets But it may be worth it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This has been researched in the past

Biggin Hill

Brilliant find! I put a local copy here

Administrator

I love the conclusion – basically, not a problem, but don’t use alcohol-based aftershave above 2 bar oxygen pressure. I will keep that in mind.

Biggin Hill

In 2 bar oxygen and the right sort of aftershave you might have other challenges especially in today’s enlightened society

Administrator

Peter wrote:

you might have other challenges

“Dr. Sircus, acupuncturist, doctor of oriental and pastoral medicine”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was just testing you. As a PhD you should have done a foundation year on research methods

Administrator

Cobalt wrote:

I love the conclusion – basically, not a problem, but don’t use alcohol-based aftershave above 2 bar oxygen pressure. I will keep that in mind.

I don’t think the 2 atm part was about aftershaves. Aftershave should be fine after the alcohol evaporates. It’s the oily stuff that shouldn’t be exposed to elevated pressures as a spark can ignite it. After all, they only tested three products under such conditions and as far as I could tell not one of them was an aftershave.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message