Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why you should not have a hipster beard

Cobalt wrote:

I love the conclusion – basically, not a problem, but don’t use alcohol-based aftershave above 2 bar oxygen pressure. I will keep that in mind.

I don’t think the 2 atm part was about aftershaves. Aftershave should be fine after the alcohol evaporates. It’s the oily stuff that shouldn’t be exposed to elevated pressures as a spark can ignite it. After all, they only tested three products under such conditions and as far as I could tell not one of them was an aftershave.

I was just testing you. As a PhD you should have done a foundation year on research methods

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

you might have other challenges

“Dr. Sircus, acupuncturist, doctor of oriental and pastoral medicine”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In 2 bar oxygen and the right sort of aftershave you might have other challenges especially in today’s enlightened society

Administrator

I love the conclusion – basically, not a problem, but don’t use alcohol-based aftershave above 2 bar oxygen pressure. I will keep that in mind.

Biggin Hill

Brilliant find! I put a local copy here

Administrator

This has been researched in the past

Biggin Hill

That’s actually quite an old rumour, and is used with lipstick, face creams, etc.

I vaguely recall a previous discussion on it. The partial pressure of oxygen, even in a pressure mask such as is used at 60000ft, is not enough to ignite any of that stuff, by a long way.

What will ignite is certain greases if used in high pressure (2000psi say) pipework fittings. One has to use special greases – if any grease is used at all.

Mind you, cosmetics / face creams make a right mess on headsets But it may be worth it

Administrator

At Flight Safety they caution against Moustache Wax.
It can allegedly burst into flames when in contact with oxygen.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Thanks, aviathor ;)

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message