Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

@Steve6443
Your post actually made me laugh out loud!!

UK, United Kingdom

@Steve6443
Thanks a lot for your humorous answer
Note that the cat is certified and hence won’t fall off. Unless it does, in which case it needs an expensive certified replacement cat.
Anyways, to adress the short comings mentioned, e.g. lack of an elevator, the aircraft was modified. Apart from adding an elevator in a T-tail configuration, the fuselage bottom was strengthened because the engine block had a tendency to fall off.
Alas, behold the Duplo Flyer “Blue Cat” Mk2:

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Those changes must have considerably increased the empty weight, hence reduced the useful load… So it is effectively only a 3-seater now?

LFPT, LFPN

I will soon put up an ad here, but whenever I read the posts about finding a good first airplane or “family plane” it reminds me of my second airplane; A 1974 Piper Warrior with great avionics and a 8 year old 2-axis A/P installation, fuel computer etc.

It was my father’s airplane (who died in 2015) and afterwards, when I did not want to sell it, I gave it to a friend, for free usage, who had just made his PPL. He only flies it 30-40 hours per year and when I asked him lately if he wanted to buy it he said that he couldn’t afford the € 50K i want for it. So we developed the idea to find a 1/2 partner for it. The airplane is hangared at EDML, has a new annual (a couple of weeks ago) and still 300 h on the engine, and will probably fly much longer on that engine.

But, as I said, I will collect some pictures and put an ad on the site. I did not want to hijack this thread for it, but I guess without photos and all the data it is not yet an “ad”. I hope that’s ok.

Alexis wrote:

I did not want to hijack this thread for it, but I guess without photos and all the data it is not yet an “ad”.

As forum contributor, you probably have a right to post an ad I guess admins will not have anything against it

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Adverts go into Classifieds.

Sorry but we got a bit too much of that in the past.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To get back on topic: I asked my one of my instructors which aircraft he’d recommend to buy and got an unexpected answer: An SR20. His arguments were that one gets a modern aircraft for a comparatively low price which can carry 3-4 people for 3-4 hours and he reckons that you don’t do longer legs with family aboard anyways. He didn’t even mention CAPS.
From what I read on EuroGA so far, the SR20 isn’t particularly well regarded here and seen as underpowered?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Well … it IS underpowered when compared with the SR22. It is still a fine airplane with certain limitations. The most important ones beeing runwa lenght and useful load. Other than that it is a solid 200 hp traveler with realistic True Air Speeds around 145-150. And CAPS, of course, is a good and proven safety feature that has saved many lives. It is a modern design – and it´’s greatest advatage when you compare it with one of the classic types is the spacious and very comfortable cabin.

If you want details, I can send you all the information.

@Alexis
What are the differences between the different generations? The G1 and older G2 models sell for just above 100k on plane check.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Hi MedEwok

In short (and only the most important changes):

G1’s have standard instruments and an MFD until 2003 and got the Avidyne Entegra glass cockpit then
G2’s start at 2004, all have Avidyne glass cockpits. The fuselage was changed a bit. 2×GNS430, non WAAS.
G3’s got a carbon fibre wing spar that saved 90 lb, a new landing gear, bigger fuel tanks. Cirrus also switched to the Garmin “Perspective” glass cockpit with the G3, which is the Cirrus variant of the G1000. Although there are some early G3’s with Avidyne cockpits and WAAS navigators.
G5: 3rd backseat, Avionics improved, many small improvements
G6: New four cylinder Lycoming IO-390 engine which raises the payload even more

A nice G1 (some are converted to the Aspen PFD) can be a perfectly good entry Cirrus. Just recently I saw a very nice example that’s actually for sale in the Netherlands. You should find it on planecheck.com (I have no time to look for it at the moment).

Some more information in German on my website: www.airwork.biz

Last Edited by at 09 Jun 16:37
Sign in to add your message