Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Neil wrote:

Should I stay or should I go now?

Go Now if you’re a Moody Blue.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

An alternative to “mayday” – " ’elp! ’elp! ’elp!". May not be understood by non-English native speakers, eg Scottish, Irish, American.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Question mostly aimed at UK people:
What do you find is normally the best way to sell a road vehicle? I’m looking to sell my motorcycle (a Ducati Hypermotard, so not super common bike).
Don’t need the cash (otherwise I wouldn’t be hanging on an aviation forum), but to force myself to sell it (after having used it once in the last 2 years), I’ve decided I’ll only buy the expensive bicycle I’ve been eyeing when I sell it (which I’ve downgraded to “put it for sale”). Willing to pay a bit for convenience, so not looking for the absolute best price either.

Ebay?
Dealer?
Gumtree?
Other?

Thanks!

Autotrader normally shifts anything that can be shifted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

Ted wrote:

SMTP, (mail protocol) is like the NDB of the internet

That’s actually an amazingly good parallel!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Except SMTP works perfectly well. The issues with email are nothing to do with the protocols, and almost everything to do with spammers, and dumb antispam measures.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The issues with email are nothing to do with the protocols

It has everything to do with the protocol as the SMTP protocol provides for absolutely zero authentication of the sender. It was designed for mail transfer between trusted mail servers. It was never intended for use with end-user mail clients nor an environment where you can’t trust other servers. All existing solutions to these problem are add-ons that don’t work all that well.

The internet mail system would need a total overhaul but that will never happen because of compatibility issues.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

SMTP’s popularity has been because it’s a decentralised federated system. SMTP would have fallen by the wayside if it had strong authentication for all users because it would have naturally ended up centralised and lost out to some different decentralised federated system. The IT landscape is littered with the corpses of email systems that tried it.

Unfortunately you can’t have a decentralised federated system that will be spam free.

Andreas IOM

The problem with email is nothing to do with its implementation. For example you can absolutely authenticate a sender using DKIM.

The problem with email is that

• anybody can send emails to anybody for who they have the address (which let’s face it is probably the main reason why email is so popular)
  • the sending is free (or extremely cheap, in bulk) so spammers can thrive
  • DKIM doesn’t deliver a complete solution for not previously known senders because it merely authenticates the email to the domain

If you blocked any of those (published email addresses only to trusted contacts just like you do with your GSM number i.e. whatsapp etc or sending emails cost significant money or allowed only approved domains to email you) then the spam issue would go away, antispam could be dismantled, and email delivery would be reliable. But that would never fly because there is strong resistance to email costing money.

Email already costs money indirectly. At work we pay £450/year to Messagelabs for incoming email filtering (a high grade business service which enables you to receive emails from all kinds of dodgy places e.g. south America which would normally face a high risk of being blocked) and £50/year for an auth smtp service which does DKIM (and has a cap of 3k emails / 400MB per month).

The issue with email is spam, and spam exists in every sphere of life where it delivers a return. It has been present in the postal system since for ever. It even exists on the AFTN

Administrator

From here

Silvaire wrote:

That’s good politics, I agree. The president looks like he’s doing something

Actually, there are reports that the government shutdown caused by the same person has delayed the certification of the MCAS fix. So one could argue that Mr. Trump is trying to wash the blood off his hands a bit here.

Watched his announcement, he sounds more like the caricatures of himself by Alec Baldwin. Maybe he has hired Baldwin to stand in for him actually.

Sign in to add your message