Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Graham wrote:

@Silvaire How do they get the drive out the end of the block, through a gearbox and then out to the wheels pretty much beneath the block? I’d always assumed V8s were happiest when mounted a goodly distance from the driven wheels!

I believe they use a stock G50 transaxle. Quoting from here “The stock 6-speed transaxle will handle the LS V-8 torque up to 600HP”
Its amazing that (1) a compact 600 HP V8 can replace the Boxer 6, fit nicely in the same space and end up lighter and (2) that the transaxle can take it.

Graham wrote:

A more aggressive camshaft, a little bit of head work, timing adjustments and some good carburettors (I favour twin Dellorto DHLA 40s) and it can get really quite lively

A friend of mine was the guy who introduced using flat slide motorcycle carbs on Triumph cars. They work OK too.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 May 19:21

I guess it must be to do with the particular shape of the engines and the space available – one can often see interesting effects.

This was seen in F1 when ground effect came along. Ferrari were unable to make the best use of it because the shape of their flat 12 engine obstructed things down there, but the teams using a Cosworth DFV had room beneath the cylinder banks to exploit the new ideas.

EGLM & EGTN

The problem is not fitting the engine in if you want to go in a straight line, but if you want to turn corners at anything over a snail’s pace you had better get used to over steer. Until fairly recently it has always been a major problem with American muscle cars. Try taking, even a modern Ford Mustang along Alpine roads and even granny on her bicycle could pass you on many of the turns, unless you fancy the quick way down :))

France

The nice thing about the V8 into 911 conversion is that it actually handles better than stock, because the 400 HP stock pushrod V8 is lighter, not heavier, than the lower powered engine it replaces.

There is an interesting historical precedent for this conversion, because while the VW/Porsche design was always an air-cooled boxer until ‘98 (like an aircraft engine, this configuration was a ‘thing’ in the late 30s) the Czech Tatra which initially shared a lot of technology with VW (including using a rear mounted flat four) eventually utilized a V8 in the back instead.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 May 22:36

I take it the engine used is one of the aluminium variants? The switch to an aluminium block saves much weight. At one point I had an example of the ubiquitous Rover V8 engine (itself derived from the aluminium Buick V8) that I planned to drop into the Spitfire – it only requires minimal modifications to the tub/chassis and can be mated with a Ford Type 9 gearbox. A GT6 rear axle completes the setup, and overall is much lighter than the popular Triumph straight-six conversion. This might be a project worth resurrecting.

The Chevy ‘small block’ is a lovely example of American irony, typical displacement being in the region of 5 litres.

EGLM & EGTN

Yes, aluminum block, info here. As per the link, you can buy them new in various forms and power levels for use in project cars. Small and light for their power.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 May 14:19

Saw on FB, made me laugh

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Saw on FB, made me laugh

Don’t laugh. In 10 year’s time we’re going to have this for real. Absolutely nothing reality/game show producers do surprises me anymore.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

I was in fact referring to those cars that they race up and down Brighton seafront.

This was me at the Brighton Speed Trials back in 1988, back in the days when I still had hair

… and too much of it, apparently …

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message