Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

That’s true, but IMHO the most rewarding thing is creating something worthwhile. And if you have to throw away your hardware and software development tools all the time and buy and learn new ones, you are just running to stay still. I have written this before I am sure but I used to do FPGA (Xilinx) and ASIC design, and not only did the tools keep changing but the new tools would not open old designs, plus other problems which were fun for someone who just wanted to do fun stuff but a PITA for someone who had a job of developing products to perform a given function. I could see someone in that line wanting to move into management ASAP

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And if you have to throw away your hardware and software development tools all the time and buy and learn new ones

Fortunately it’s not like that in software dev for the most part. It’s mostly libraries and frameworks that change, and generally you don’t need to buy them.

For instance, we’ve been using Java and Netbeans for years even though they have been changing. The basic foundation doesn’t change, but there’s often new stuff you get to put on top of it – e.g. new libraries and frameworks you can make use of on top of the foundations you already know. Unlike proprietary tools, open source tools tend to have good source backward compatibility. I could take java code from the late 90s and in most cases, it’d just compile and run with at most a new project file needing created for the IDE. It’s been 2 decades since I’ve needed to use anything proprietary in software development. The source code is published for all the languages and tools I use.

The Xilinx stuff is awful, their IDE is about 20 years behind what software developers have in terms of usability. I can understand having to suffer Xilinx professionally would drive people into management…

Last Edited by alioth at 04 Sep 20:32
Andreas IOM

Back to aviation. Got this today from a friend. Wonder how this mess will turn out:

http://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-reissue-pilots-licences-in-no-deal-brexit-11494922

EGKB Biggin Hill

…. well, they would say that, wouldn’t they ?

Well, the UK CAA is right. There is no need for them to reissue licenses. But quite a few pilots may need to have their licenses “reissued” by some other national authority.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Under no-deal, the UK CAA can no longer issue a licence to fly an EU-aeroplane in EU-airspace
As of today, UK CAA can do this (hint: writing on red bus does not help keeping licence valid after Mar 19)

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 20:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Under no-deal, the UK CAA can no longer issue a licence to fly an EU-aeroplane in EU-airspace

Why would that be any different from the FAA issuing a licence to enable an EU aeroplane to be flown in EU airspace (or any other country outside the EU for that matter which has a recognisded international licence)?

As far as I am concerned, I can’t fly in USA airspace with a UK CAA PPL
I was not talking about allowing FAA licence in G-airspace (which CAA allow as of today on Annex II)

In no-deal, I would not be surprised that post-brexit Britain will have to “open doors to everything” (e.g. drop import barriers to sweeten hasty deals, drop taxes to attract FDI, drop regulation/standards for short-term boost of business…), this may not sound well with the vision that hard brexiters had in mind when casting the vote…the question how much the UK will get back for “exporting”?

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Sep 22:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

What surprises me is that Sky News is suddenly engaging in what they have previously called “Project Fear”.

Maybe we will be seeing a volte face (if we are still allowed to import foreign phrases tariff free) from the hard right news sources as reality begins to loom.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message