Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

As far as I am concerned, I can’t fly in USA airspace with a UK CAA PPL

You can fly a G-reg on a UK issued ICAO license, worldwide, VFR or IFR as appropriate, noncommercial.

You can fly a Mongolian reg on a Mongolia issued ICAO license, worldwide, VFR or IFR as appropriate, noncommercial.

Etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Why would that be any different from the FAA issuing a licence to enable an EU aeroplane to be flown in EU airspace (or any other country outside the EU for that matter which has a recognisded international licence)?

The difference is that the FAA can’t do that and never could. The UK CAA can do that now and lots of airline pilots are flying EU, but non-UK, aircraft on UK licenses.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Isn’t the difference simply that in the event of a no deal the UK will no longer be part of EASA so all the UK pilots with an EASA licence will have to have their licences reissued as UKCAA licences by end of March 2019.Who pays? I woulds think it would be individual pilots or their companies.
The only difference then, is that when flying a G reg in Europe they need to take account of 2 sets of regulations in the way N reg pilots have to do now. Eg an N reg aircraft flying into Le Touquet in IFR during the planning stage checks the weather at both Le Touquet and any alternates. As minima they must choose either those of the FAA or the of EASA, whichever is the most onerous.It is surprising how sometimes the EASA regulations are more onerous and sometimes the FAA regulations are, and that’s just for LeTouquet.

France

The chief challenges of a non EASA UK CAA would not be stuff like FAA and EASA operating rules for private flights. They would be much bigger stuff e.g.

• UK based EASA145 companies will not be able to issue EASA1 forms, so all airliners flying with Rolls Royce engines will become unairworthy at some point in time, varying according to the service schedule and if/when RR parts are needed for service
  • airline pilots with UK issued EASA papers currently flying non G reg airliners (e.g. working for Lufthansa) will be out of a job until they obtain a local CAA validation

When you look at the magnitude of this and other stuff, you can see that the likelihood of a solution, possibly a last-minute one, is close to 100%. Brussels has been in a vindictive mood for a couple of years (understandably; they don’t want this to spread) but pragmatism will have to rule the day eventually

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Brussels has been in a vindictive mood for a couple of years

I am genuinely not sure whether that is true, but I would lay 90% or more of the blame for the current mess at the feet of (all) our UK politicians.

And I mean All. Right Wing, Left Wing and Fuselage. If any of them had shown any leadership or competence, this would be signed sealed and delivered by now. And I blame Anna Soubry and Vince Cable just as much as May, Corbyn, Johnson and Gove. They talk enormous sense and represent the bulk of the UK, but do nothing.

And you would think that the Tories ripping themselves to shreds would be a great opportunity for Labour, but instead they just compete for how self destructive they can be.

We are being terribly badly led.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

to import foreign phrases tariff free

Timothy wrote:

We are being terribly badly led

Are you proposing a coup d’État or putsch?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

When you look at the magnitude of this and other stuff, you can see that the likelihood of a solution, possibly a last-minute one, is close to 100%. Brussels has been in a vindictive mood for a couple of years (understandably; they don’t want this to spread) but pragmatism will have to rule the day eventually

Don’t be so sure. And it has nothing to do with Brussels, it’s all up to the UK. There will be no “special deal” for the UK, this will make life very difficult for the EU vs Norway and Switzerland. UK aviation industry, pilots, airlines, maintenance leaving UK, transferring to some EU country is good for EU and bad for the UK. That’s the bottom line. To remain in EASA is beneficial for the UK only, for EU it would be better if the UK left (in an industrial sense). This is indeed a hopeless situation for all of UK aviation related industry. The question is how much the UK government values this industry, what are they willing to pay for it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

There will be no “special deal” for the UK

You mean a free one? yes, there will be “no special free deal” only a tick brexiters believe in such dreams
However, I think the UK can get a “cherry-picked deal in exchange of money”, it is just how much cash public & politician are welling to pay for it?
You will be surprised how much compromise on the rules/exceptions you can get per dollar-value funding them, if you contribute a lot you will make the rules

But overall, I don’t think the after-brexit {deal+contribution} package will be better than what the UK have today…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Capitaine wrote:

Are you proposing a coup d’État or putsch?

I think you can add ‘delusion de grandeur’ on behalf of the UK to that list. That’s also why I’m not so sure there will be a last-minute deal, as the UK government obviously still suffers from the aforementioned affliction. They still seem to inhabit the world of the sequence number of this post minus one

Last Edited by 172driver at 12 Sep 19:08
Sign in to add your message