Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Malibuflyer wrote:

Sorry, used the German term – it’s GDP. And the low Irish number is obviously driven by low taxes for some businesses and a little less by personal income taxes…

Indeed. Our GDP figures are unusually high because of the way it takes account of some international firms accounting. That results in the average tax rate looking artificially low.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The implication in Germany also is, that there is a whole industry making a living out of that fact: Instead of going into a care home, people in deed of care (even or esp. very severe cases like on long term ventilation)

That’s interesting. I can certainly see the hygiene aspects as being an improvement.

Personally I’m not convinced that sitting on a chair at home all day is necessarily better than being in a residential home, though I’m sure this is very much an individual decision. An Australian physio recently told me that back home they would send anybody who wasn’t making quick progress with rehab to a care home.

Last Edited by kwlf at 20 Jan 11:44

A “dreadful social security situation”, leading to all the Scottish druggies moving to England, would set the scene for an independent Scotland, outwith the EU. :-)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes; an excellent book – just like everything from Tom Clancy. I’ve got them all.

Yea. His house was just sold recently.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Property prices there compare with around here!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maoraigh do you wish for a totally independent Scotland with all that it entails? I mean totally independent of England and all the benefits you gain from it and cessation of what England benefits? If so, as a Scot, would you like to share your views for others? I was married to a fervent Scot so have some idea but it was a while ago and more recent views would be interesting.

UK, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

What’s BIP
GDP in German, I would hazard a guess.

Indeed. BIP = “Bruttoinlandsprodukt” (brutto = gross, inland = domestic, produkt = product)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

dublinpilot wrote:

Indeed. Our GDP figures are unusually high because of the way it takes account of some international firms accounting. That results in the average tax rate looking artificially low.

In the frame of our discussion they don’t look “artificially low” but they are a manifestation of a completely different approach of Ireland toward corporate taxes. This would also be something that a United States of Europe would not allow for…

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

totally independent Scotland with all that it entails

I have the impression that most of the people in Scotland that vote for independence do that in the misunderstanding/dream that an independent Scotland had any chance to become member of the EU. If politicians would tell them the truth that this is completely unrealistic and everyone understands this, I’d assume that even a new referendum would not find a majority.

Germany

Peter wrote:

Property prices there compare with around here!

It had an asking price of 6 Million but was on the market for 2 years. It is huge, even for their standards particularly in terms of the land.

Looking at the pictures it was still nice to see “Jack Ryan’s” house for real.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Malibuflyer wrote:

I have the impression that most of the people in Scotland that vote for independence do that in the misunderstanding/dream that an independent Scotland had any chance to become member of the EU. If politicians would tell them the truth that this is completely unrealistic and everyone understands this, I’d assume that even a new referendum would not find a majority.

Why is that “completely unrealistic”? If you mean “at once”, then sure.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message