Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airliner passing under parachute jumpers

If it’s not fake then there should be an investigation. In such airspace, paradrops require ATC clearance. Either there was a violation of airspace by the drop plane and the parashootists or someone at ATC screwed up badly.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It looks real to me. The face of the guy on the right says it all, looking at the camera, his face says “f*** me, did you see that?”

But might this not just be a matter of shared Class G airspace? It is risky to use it, for Bigjets and parachutist alike. We all know that. And Big Sky mostly works, as it did on this occasion.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airliners that fly in Class G airspace? What did I not understand??

Some comments on FB (need a FB account) suggest it may have been near Geneva. Looks like January 2017.

Lots of airliners fly OCAS (in Class E,F,G) but AFAIK, in Europe, they always do so under a radar service, and a para drop would be coordinated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Lots of airliners fly OCAS (in Class E,F,G) but AFAIK, in Europe, they always do so under a radar service, and a para drop would be coordinated.

They don’t always have radar service OCAS. At least not in Sweden and Norway which are indeed in Europe.

(BTW: class E is controlled airspace.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airliners fly in Class G in the UK all the time.

They may well be under a Deconfliction Service, but why would they be deconflicted from a meatbomber thousands of feet above them?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Meatbomber :) Hadn’t heard that one.. thanks for making me laugh out loud @Timothy

EDLN and EDKB

They don’t always have radar service OCAS. At least not in Sweden and Norway which are indeed in Europe.

I have not flown anywhere in Norway where they have not had radar coverage. There may be some valleys where that is the case, but in my experience radar service is as good in Norway as it is in Continental Europe.

I recently flew across Norway from Torp to Sola and then to Flesland at 4500 feet or lower and had radar service all the way.

LFPT, LFPN

if it was near Geneva then it was definitly in controlled airspace. And I think we’d have heard of it by now in the form of a report by the SUST.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Aviathor wrote:

I have not flown anywhere in Norway where they have not had radar coverage. There may be some valleys where that is the case, but in my experience radar service is as good in Norway as it is in Continental Europe.

Do the AFIS units in Norway always have radar? I’m 99% sure the AFIS units in Sweden don’t.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message