Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airliner passing under parachute jumpers

Para dropping is deconflicted by radar controllers, normally really carefully. I have had it many many times when flying, both VFR and Eurocontrol IFR.

Unless this video is fake (IMHO it isn’t) somebody clearly screwed up, and most likely it is some sort of coordination issue at ATC level because the controller talking to the dropping aircraft is probably not the approach or departure controller who is talking to the airliner.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Over here it is APP that coordinates the jumpers, because who else, FIS? TWR is limited to the CTR which is too low to make sense for parachute jumpers, and not even close to where they jump/land, and if there was no TMA, the jumps would have to be from above FL95,where controlled airspace starts in EP, to require a controller’s involvement . On the rare occasion FIS does the coordinating, e.g. for a TMA transit, they arrange everything with APP anyway, saving the pilot a frequency change and the APP controllers the hassle of getting info from the pilot. But I don’t see why the jumper plane pilot would talk to FIS at all, they go straight for APP as soon as they take off (over here the TMA starts at 2300AMSL, which is 1550 AGL or so, but APP/FIS won’t hear them while on the ground).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Aviathor wrote:

I recently flew across Norway from Torp to Sola and then to Flesland at 4500 feet or lower and had radar service all the way.

Last time I flew from Torp to Sola at around 5-6000ft I struggled to get even VHF contact with Sola until Lysefjord…admittedly that was nearly 20 years ago!

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 17 Jul 00:00
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Do the AFIS units in Norway always have radar? I’m 99% sure the AFIS units in Sweden don’t.

That does not mean there is no coverage. Just that AFIS have no display or are not allowed to officially use it. The approach control would have radar. Actually I do not know whether AFIS does have a radar display or not.

Last time I flew from Torp to Sola at around 5-6000ft I struggled to get even VHF contact with Sola until Lysefjord…admittedly that was nearly 20 years ago!

At Lysebotn you are still quite a bit from Sola. En-route I would expect to be in contact with Norway control as I was. They handed me over to Sola approach over Lysefjord at 3500’. Never had an issue with radio or radar contact.

Years ago I heard people tell me how they flew down to Strømstad, below radar coverage to buy boose. But even back then that era was over

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

That does not mean there is no coverage. Just that AFIS have no display or are not allowed to officially use it. The approach control would have radar. Actually I do not know whether AFIS does have a radar display or not.

Well, I know that when I departed Hemavan (ESUT) IFR last year, I had radio contact with enroute ATC at less than 5000’ but no radar contact until about FL80.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Jul 18:40
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This time a jet passes just above

Administrator

I have replaced the video with one on Vimeo and removed the “can’t play it” feedback… Youtube is playing funny buggers again. I also similarly replaced the video at the start of the thread.

Administrator

I think the video Peter tries to link is here:
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7227887/dc670420/onder_de_jet.html

This seems to be a case where both the business jet and the parachute are flying VFR in uncontrolled airpace…

I am not linking it. It originally appeared on FB and since posting FB links is destined to cause problems (actually most external links go dead, especially ones to media) I downloaded it and re-hosted it That way you get much better integrity of this site and if somebody complains one can always take it down.

Administrator

It’s a big sky… A collision is very unlikely to happen.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message