Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Europe's craziest airspaces

Peter wrote:

I think if you flew below 10k in that area, your life expectancy would be measured in minutes

In IMC, yes. VFR its great fun – going through the passes and down the valleys is some of the most visually stunning flying there is.

Lots of that airspace is active by NOTAM or at particular times linked to the opening of different airfields – you’re not wrong saying its a complete mess. Skydemon deals with it pretty well, and I assume EasyVFR etc do as well. The profile view makes it all a lot easier.

EGEO

On charts like that, what I do: Put a course line on the chart and then go step by step and note where you have to be at what altitude … Then you look at the list and you know what’s possible. But using the SkyDemon filter is much easier. For example there’s a “weekend filter” for the French airspaces which hides most of the ugly stuff …

I must say that the more I fly IFR the less I am interested in deciphering this stuff. To some places I only fly IFR.

VFR its great fun – going through the passes and down the valleys is some of the most visually stunning flying there is.

Sure, if there is no wind. On Friday, EGKA-LEMH, FL120, crossing a little bit of the Pyrenees, 40kt tailwind, I was unable to hold altitude at max power. I had to disconnect the autopilot (just before it pitched up to Vs) and dropped about 200ft, flying just above Vs, for about a minute. Italian ATC never noticed… We were a few k ft above the terrain and doing some 180kt GS. The 180kt quickly dropped by some 70kt. An interesting flight… Do that in the Alps, 1000ft AGL, it could be terminal… but to fly at a safe height you need to be IFR.

With notam activated airspace, how do you plan a route some days beforehand?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

With notam activated airspace, how do you plan a route some days beforehand?

You don’t. IIRC the Swiss publish a map of activated airspaces the day before.

Weather for VFR flight in the valleys is interesting. Mesoscale wind patterns are only one concern. You also need to worry about katabatic and anabatic winds at the relevant times of day, föhn effects when going through passes (one side can be perfectly clear the other completely fogged in), thunderstorm development (which can be terrifyingly quick) and so on. I recommend flying with an experienced local instructor some time, its quite an eye opener – and will be great practice for steep turns!

I reckon the dispatch rate of Mountain VFR vs flatland VFR is similar to normal VFR vs IFR.

Alexis wrote:

I must say that the more I fly IFR the less I am interested in deciphering this stuff. To some places I only fly IFR.

Amen to that

Last Edited by jwoolard at 10 Oct 14:31
EGEO

Airspace is not really relevant to IFR, unless going OCAS at the end(s) or filing Z/Y.

Which begs the ancient Q: why do ATC often refuse transit to VFR traffic but allow IFR to pass straight through on the very same route? And usually in airspace which has no other traffic.

Administrator

why do ATC often refuse transit to VFR traffic but allow IFR to pass straight through on the very same route?

I would imagine because IFR traffic is co-ordinated and VFR isn’t.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Alexis wrote:

That’s completely understandable to me under a circumstance in which you have to talk to the ground to fly, regardless of whether you’re VFR or IFR. The fundamental advantage of remaining non-IFR is being able to mind your own business and fly en route where you want to go without asking permission or talking about it. Personally I think that’s the main attraction to flying your own plane, and if I couldn’t do it I wouldn’t fly.

Re the complex chart of Switzerland, I’ve spent a lot of time in that area and have rarely seen a plane overhead.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Oct 16:35

I would imagine because IFR traffic is co-ordinated and VFR isn’t.

Could you explain?

and have rarely seen a plane overhead.

That’s true for most of Europe’s land area

Administrator
The fundamental advantage of remaining non-IFR is being able to mind your own business and fly en route where you want to go without asking permission

I think in reality it’s most times just the OTHER WAY round. VFR you have to ask and beg and negotiate. IFR you ask for a shortcut or direct and if possible at all, you get it. It might sound strange but many times I feel more “free” IFR … every couple of minutes a frequency change and a short call … other than that you look out the window ;-)

Last Edited by at 10 Oct 16:39

Alexis wrote:

VFR you have to ask and beg and negotiate.

In the US, I very often turn off the radio en route, typically in Class E airspace.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Oct 16:46
Sign in to add your message