Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Track Up or North Up (merged)

>>>> True, but Track Up will never do anything until you are moving.

I don’t know about the TB20 ;-) … but the Cirrus is definitely moving when it’s in flight :-)

That was really never a problem

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 27 Jan 17:25

AdamFrisch wrote:

I’m probably the only one in the world who doesn’t fly track up. Just not wired that way.

I didn’t realise you actually fly Adam? :)

EGTK Oxford

Touche! @JasonC

Well I’ll fess up to being a north up guy. To know where I’m going I have the pointy end of the ownship, and I recognise where I am faster. And that’s just me, it’s one of those things… My car sat nav is set up the same way.

EGTF, LFTF

Track Up is the path to true enlightenment.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I belong to the church of heading up. That way the map matches what I see out of the windscreen / window, even by strong cross-wind.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

I belong to the church of heading up.

I have, so far, not come across a display which would me select “heading up” (although I would give it a try). Only north up or track up.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The KMD550 does it. All three.

Heading up is the only way to get Track up if you are not moving.

It needs heading input, either XY 400Hz or ARINC429.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m the weird type that likes both track and north up, depending on the situation.

Paper/‘static’ maps/charts/plates: north up. Be it looking at an approach plate or walking through a city, my mental map is north up, so I like my reference material to be the same way.

Maps that show my progress along a pre-defined plan (i.e. with a GPS overlay/georeferenced): those I like to be track up.

I’ve tried using paper VFR charts track up, and the ’what’s on the map matches what you see out the window’ argument just doesn’t work for me. That’s probably because, during the planning stage, your map is north up, so any familiarisation with the area on the map has been in that orientation. And that’s before you get to the text-upside-down problem, which only makes things worse for track up

EHTE, Netherlands

VFR on SkyDemon I use North Up,
IFR on the MFD I only use Track up.

Sign in to add your message