Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot and aviation related jokes

The Mooney video is funny…

I don’t find the 201 particularly uncomfortable, better than a Bonanza if you are tall, and if only the ailerons worked like a Marchetti the Mooney would be ideal for my purposes.

if only the ailerons worked like a Marchetti the Mooney would be ideal for my purposes.

I’ve flown both but I can’t say I noticed anything special about the ailerons? Do you mean the roll rate on the Marchetti? But it’s a bit academic in the Mooney since it isn’t aerobatic anyway.

LFMD, France

I have flown both, the SF260 in its native Italy. The 201 is very practical and still a king of efficiency. Have not sat in the back of either type, but the SF260 is one of the few types where rear seat passengers have more room in the 201 :).

The SF260 has quite a touring aircraft type roll rate, possibly more leisurely than a Bonanza?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Mooney ailerons are highly geared, intrinsically heavy, and the ones I’ve been in were a bit truckish in roll. Mooney made changes in the mid-60s to lighten up the aileron forces, which obviously would apply to any 201, and then again in the early 80s when a wing tip change apparently had the effect of improving the ailerons. I’ve never been anywhere near the later ones but would regardless prefer more agile handling than the early ones.

I like planes that have nice controls, it’s a personal preference and a primary interest, regardless of what I might use them for. The Marchetti and the Bellanca fly nicely IME, while occupying opposite ends of the cost spectrum. I also prefer stick controls, both aircraft I’ve owned have had them, and that gets me to the Marchetti as the ideal. RVs are very good too.

Mooneys are indeed practical, no question, and that’s a good thing.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Oct 17:02

@Silvaire Didn’t know that. The only Mooney I’ve flown was a ’99 M20M, not a 201. It was very nice to fly though I learned the hard way that you have to be VERY careful to respect flap speeds – I went maybe 2 knots too fast and the flap motor overheated. Luckily no actual damage.

My long-time acro instructor has a Marchetti as his personal aircraft, which I’ve flown a few times. It is indeed very nice to fly, with the oddity that you fly it from the right seat. It has slightly odd stall behavior which it’s as well to know about – you have to VERY careful to avoid a secondary stall.

I too slightly prefer flying with a stick, but I have a 182 and I’m fine with that too. Can’t really imagine doing acro with a yoke, although I expect you get used to it quickly enough in e.g. an Aerobat.

LFMD, France

Sorry, people buy Mooney to fly straight at 200kts cutting across the ground, unless you miss destination and drive past, I see no reason why do you want to roll them?

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Oct 18:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Carlyle Notam:
EGNC (CARLISLE)
Q) EGTT/QFAHX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5456N00249W005
B) FROM: 20/09/17 13:00C) TO: 20/10/31 18:00
E) INCREASED BIRD ACTIVITY ON AIRFIELD
L4324/20
Q) EGTT/QFALC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5456N00249W005
B) FROM: 20/09/17 11:46C) TO: 20/10/31 18:00
E) COVID-19: INFORMATION
AD CLOSED