Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Famous people who fly

Stefan Raab, a famous German TV host, flies a TBM.
Smudo, singer of German hip hop band Fantastic 4, flies IR, previously a Bonanza, now I believe a twin (don’t know the model).
Friedrich Merz, a German lawyer and politician, has a Cessna 182.
Niki Lauda, the former F1 racing champion, has recently bought is former Niki airline out of the Airberlin insolvency and sold part of it to Ryanair. He learned to fly when he lived in Salzburg and needed to commute to Italy when he was racing for Ferrari back in the 70ies. He has (or used to have) his ATPL and built a whole airline.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

Smudo, singer of German hip hop band Fantastic 4, flies IR, previously a Bonanza, now I believe a twin (don’t know the model).

Piper Seneca if I am not mistaken.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Some military jet owners and more :
Larry Ellison former CEO of Oracle owns a SIAI-Marchetti S.211 and a decommissioned MIG 29 read here and here.
There are rumours that he flew under Golden Gate here
Bob Lutz – former CEO of GE owns and fly an Aero L-39 Albatros fighter jet and an Alpha Jet and he is 79 years old ! Here and here

ES?? - Sweden

If you’ve seen the price of Oracle licenses recently, you’ll know why Larry Ellison can afford all that stuff!

James May (formerly of Top Gear) has at least a PPL, there’s also David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

I’m not sure if Prince Charles had a civilian pilot rating, but he did crash a BAe-146. There are of course the military helicopter flying Royals too.

Andreas IOM

EuroFlyer wrote:

Friedrich Merz, a German lawyer and politician, has a Cessna 182

He flies a DA62.
And occasionally writes pireps on eddh ;-)

EDM_, Germany

alioth wrote:

I’m not sure if Prince Charles had a civilian pilot rating, but he did crash a BAe-146.

He overran the runway at Islay yes, but I think they used the airplane again a while later, so to say he crashed it is a bit over the top. He was qualified on several airplane and chopper types amongst which the Wessex helicopter and both Andover and HS148. I reckon he had a military license.
Prince Philipp flew Andovers at some point.
Prince Andrew was a qualified helicopter pilot and took part in action during the Falkland war flying Sea Kings. His former wife achieved a PPL(H).
Prince William is a qualified helicopter pilot and until recently had a job as a SAR command pilot. His Brother Harry qualified as copilot/gunner on the Apache Helo.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Off the top of my head, a few UK names that might not be so well known elsewhere: David Jason; Martin Shaw; Carol Vordeman (who has become something of an aviation advocate); Grant Shapps; Lembit Opik; the aforementioned James May; Arthur Williams (I exchanged weather chat with him at Oban once, the day I was leaving just as Peter was arriving. I still feel guilty about that but we had been stuck there for two days. Anyway, AW was impressively pre-flighting his cub from his wheelchair) .

strip near EGGW

Herbert von Karajan may have flown his own Falcon 10?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Prince Phillip has flown many types, including the single seater Turbulent? Not sure if Health and Safety would have signed off in these more modern times.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Herbert von Karajan may have flown his own Falcon 10?

Looks like you’re right.

He also owned a King Air, a Lear and various piston twins.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Apr 15:01
Sign in to add your message