Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to start touring?

Welcome!

Where are you based?

I would highly recommend the IR(r) IMC rating. Although you can’t use it in Europe it will without doubt improve your confidence and fine tune your flying.

As mentioned above. Try to keep the first few trips short say 60mins max each way. Find interesting places to visit (France has plenty!) although the flying may be fun for you it won’t necessarily be your passengers top priority.

The key to VFR touring is to be flexiable and always have a backup plan and don’t be afraid to put it into action! e.g put the family on an easyJet back to the uk if necessary. You can get most places in Europe for £50-100 each way. Once you loose a passengers trust it’s hard to get it back.

Aviation for me is one of the last true freedoms…go where you want on your own schedule…make it up as you go along! (Subject to certain restrictions)

Safe flights.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Welcome to EuroGA, Ibra

I too think the IMCR is a great idea. It makes you a much better VFR pilot too and enables you to fly on hazy days when, especially over the sea, there is no visible horizon.

France offers great value in GA travel because the N coast takes for ever to reach conventionally, whereas you can pop over to say Le Touquet in 45 mins from Shoreham.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot guys,
I am based in London North Weald, so some French villes are within the 60 min radius for solo flights or with flying friends, then bring my wife
I will definitely go for the IMC later this year: insurance policy, some UK practice and later as step to some IR tickets that are valid in Europe

Noe, good luck with the CRI course let us know how it goes it may come handy when the warm weather comes in :)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’m at north Weald too, flying the diamonds that share the 4 first letters of their regs.
Happy to meet for just advice too, I fly fairly often to France and usually with constraints (time etc).
Based east London / city so fee free to PM for a coffee

Also don’t just use the IMCR as insurance like I did the first time. Practice regularly as the currency goes away quickly. Just going with someone else do some approaches at Southend / Cambridge should do it

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message