Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to start touring?

Also don’t just use the IMCR as insurance like I did the first time. Practice regularly as the currency goes away quickly. Just going with someone else do some approaches at Southend / Cambridge should do it

I’m at north Weald too, flying the diamonds that share the 4 first letters of their regs.
Happy to meet for just advice too, I fly fairly often to France and usually with constraints (time etc).
Based east London / city so fee free to PM for a coffee

Thanks a lot guys,
I am based in London North Weald, so some French villes are within the 60 min radius for solo flights or with flying friends, then bring my wife
I will definitely go for the IMC later this year: insurance policy, some UK practice and later as step to some IR tickets that are valid in Europe

Noe, good luck with the CRI course let us know how it goes it may come handy when the warm weather comes in :)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Welcome to EuroGA, Ibra

I too think the IMCR is a great idea. It makes you a much better VFR pilot too and enables you to fly on hazy days when, especially over the sea, there is no visible horizon.

France offers great value in GA travel because the N coast takes for ever to reach conventionally, whereas you can pop over to say Le Touquet in 45 mins from Shoreham.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Welcome!

Where are you based?

I would highly recommend the IR(r) IMC rating. Although you can’t use it in Europe it will without doubt improve your confidence and fine tune your flying.

As mentioned above. Try to keep the first few trips short say 60mins max each way. Find interesting places to visit (France has plenty!) although the flying may be fun for you it won’t necessarily be your passengers top priority.

The key to VFR touring is to be flexiable and always have a backup plan and don’t be afraid to put it into action! e.g put the family on an easyJet back to the uk if necessary. You can get most places in Europe for £50-100 each way. Once you loose a passengers trust it’s hard to get it back.

Aviation for me is one of the last true freedoms…go where you want on your own schedule…make it up as you go along! (Subject to certain restrictions)

Safe flights.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I don’t understand why anyone would “NOT” recommend the IMCR. It’s far more accessible than an IR.

Forever learning
EGTB

Ibra wrote:

I did some cross-channels from the P2 seat, it did not seem complicated but I dont feel confident doing the same with my family.

It IS not complicated. Within central Europe, the most important task is to find a nice destination you and your family will enjoy. Furthermore:

• The plane keeps behaving the same when you passed a border
  • You won’t get shot in Europe, even if you make a mistake
  • Navigation works the same in the UK or in continental Europe. You don’t have to fly on the other side of the runway.

Most likely you have been trained to fly cross country, and if you hold an EASA PPL, you have done so, solo. Explain to your family where you will be flying, how they might assist you (e.g. holding charts (if applicable), looking out for traffic, listening to your callsign on the radio, etc.).

Plan a day or so “delay” for weather during spring or summer, and be prepared to go back via train or airline, if you have to be back on time.

You’ll be fine. Enjoy.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Baby steps…..start off with small trips just into France. Some great weekends can be had at Le Touquet, Dinard, St. malo Deauville etc, even the Channel Islands. Fly in good weather and get used to reading and interpreting the Airports AIP entry details for opening hours and customs requiredments. Depending on where your fly out of in the U.K., these can all be reached in about an hour. When you are comfortable with these try La Rochelle, it’s about a 2 1/2 flight. The IMC is a great next step in your training, although not valid in Europe, it will improve your flying and NAV skills and improve your confidence.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Treat your first flights with the family like a 30 minute trial lesson. A common mistake is to launch on a long flight, and the first time, anything over 30 minutes may feel long in a general aviation aircraft. A nice local tour with lots of straight and level and gentle turns, ideally when the circuit is not busy and the air is calm. Build up gently from there, after a couple of flights plan a short land away and return.

Launching on a tour before acclimatising your family to GA, and the need for flexibility, ie planned flights you cancel because of weather, may put you, and your family, under unnecessary pressure.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Where do you fly from? I’m generally interested with trips to France as have family in a couple different places.
Doing a CRI rating in March so would be happy to do it as free instruction too

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message