Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hungary

Hi all,

Does someone know of a place we could do customs in Hungary? We will be arriving from Prague.

Budahors used to do it as we do want to land here, but apparently they don’t any longer….

Looking for a smallish airfield ideally.

Thanks

Mark

if you are arriving from Prague there is no need to do anything, this is Schengen area. For leaving CZ there is nothing you need to do for sure, just check Hungary has accepted Schengen rules already (I believe so but please cross check). When passing Brno rock your wings….

LKKU, LKTB

Oh ok, well that is good news, I was told by a guy based in Romania (who wasn’t 100%) that we had to do customs on entering Hungary each time we are going onto Romania… We are coming from Letnany in Prague, which I know we don’t need to do customs for.

Where can I cross check?

Thanks

Romania is not Schengen which is why you need to land at a customs airport when you fly to Hungary from Romania (or out of Hungary to Romania). Czech Republic there is no issue.

Going from Hungary to Romania, you do not need to do customs (both are EU). However, Romania is not a full member of Schengen, therefore you need to pass border control (“immigration”) on both ends.

Maybe Pecs LHPP?

Sorry, I don’t quite follow.

So we will fly from Letnany in Prague to Budahors (Hungary) – We don’t need to do customs no issue?

When we fly Hungary (Budahors where there is no customs) to Romania we do customs only in Romania which we plan on doing at the large international just over the border.

When we fly back out of Romania to Hungary, we leave via the same large international customs, then have to land at a customs airport in Hungary?

Do I have this correct?

Thanks all.

M

Do I have this correct?

No.

All three countries involved (Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania) are EU members. They are also (consequently) members of the European Union customs union (which is about the free movement of goods).

Czech Republic and Hungary are also members of the Schengen agreement (which is about the free movement of people). Romania is not.

In flying:

• When flying between two countries that are both members of the customs union and the Schengen agreement, you do not need to do anything.
  • When flying between two countries that are members of the customs union, but not the Schengen agreement, you need to pass through immigration. That’s the border police potentially checking people’s passports, visa, and what not.
  • When flying between two countries that are part of the Schengen agreement, but not members of the customs union, you need to pass through customs. That’s some custom official potentially checking if you carry any goods that are subject to customs.

For you, that means when flying from Hungary to Romania or from Romania to Hungary, you need to fly from and to airports with customs facilities on both sides for each flight – because the two countries have no customs agreement in place.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

here for example :
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm

so it seems the map on this page is still accurate :
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/index_en.htm

sorry the post comes later than anticipated, this is about schengen.

@Patrick : Romania is a schengen applicant, not a schengen member yet it seems…

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 11 Aug 11:33
ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Patrick wrote:

When flying between two countries that are both members of the customs union and the Schengen agreement, you do not need to do anything.

Besides the odd exception Greece. They are member of both EU and Schengen but think they can ignore the treaty by requiring every flight coming from/going to another country to fly via port of entry. A stupid hassle.

When flying between two countries that are part of the Schengen agreement, but not members of the customs union, you need to pass through customs. That’s some custom official potentially checking if you carry any goods that are subject to customs.

Another (positive) exception: Germany does not require customs when leaving the country, provided the aircraft is registered in the EU and it’s a private flight without goods to declare. I don’t know if there are other countries with the same concession.

All very simple stuff, isn’t it?

Crikey this is getting complicated…..!

So Patrick, when we leave Hungary to go to Romania, this has to be a customs airport ie the airport in Hungary we leave and also a customs airport for the one in Romania we arrive at? Same thing, when we leave Romania this is from a customs airport to arrive in a customs airport in Hungary?

Hopefully I have this right.

So from Hungary to Austria we have no issues with customs which is good!

Thanks

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message