Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icon A5

The report for the ICON A5 accident is in. Pilot flew into a narrow canyon and collided with terrain trying to return. That means the aircraft is not to blame.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20170508X45426&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
The pilot’s failure to maintain clearance from terrain while maneuvering at a low altitude.
Contributing to the accident was the pilot’s mistaken entry into a canyon surrounded by steep
rising terrain while at a low altitude for reasons that could not be determined.

Another accident involving a Icon A5:
Former MLB Pitcher Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash

One of my sporting heroes :(

EIMH, Ireland

Hard to see if the pilot does crazy manoevers or had already lost control.

In one comment somewhere it was said that the guy had said repeatedly what a thrill it was to fly low level over the water.

For now, difficult to see the failure of the airplane in this, as with the other accident before it.

Question which has to be raised is whether Icon’s marketing has anything to do with it, stating that this is a very easy to fly fun plane, which imho may well give the wrong expression that it is a plane you can fool around in.

In several comments people fully expect Icon to go the same way as the Evolution, in as that after these crashes the insurances might pull the plug on the company. Which, imho would be the 2nd company in a short while which got grounded due to the incapability of the pilots who fly the planes rather than real issues by the company warranting such action.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

first seconds look pretty controlled, but then it looks like maneuvering near the surface went wrong. First impression, it looks like pilot over-enthusiasm, not an A5 issue.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 09 Nov 08:06
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

What were those people doing filming it and not going into the water to try and help?

EGTF, LFTF

To be fair to them, they did motor as quickly as possible towards the crash site, and I’m not sure if they could have done anything when they got there (other than risk adding themselves to the casualty numbers).

Andreas IOM

denopa wrote:

What were those people doing filming it and not going into the water to try and help?
As this is the US and their lawyer industry, I am pretty sure the guy’s estate will sue their *ss for not even trying. I mean, 3 boats and 10 people, not one tried, but they all have their phone out.

ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message