Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In what circumstances would one open up an engine purely on the basis of oil analysis data?

At 10hrs you expect 1/5 of the 50hr values, but it doesn’t quite scale

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter I think you use Blackstone. How do you get the samples to the US? When in the US I send it by regular post about $3 no hazardous nonsense.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

most owners don’t post bad news on forums, because they want to be able to sell their airplane without the prospective buyer asking awkward questions (this is a really major issue in data collection in GA)

Most people on this forum dont give their real names so I dont think that is a valid point.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

How do you get the samples to the US? When in the US I send it by regular post about $3 no hazardous nonsense.

I use AOA and the little bottle and envelope just qualify as a letter, the cost from Germany is €3.45 and it takes about 5-8 days. Works every time for me.

Most people on this forum dont give their real names so I dont think that is a valid point.

Unfortunately this is perceived as insufficient. I know this because from time to time I bump into somebody who has had interesting experience and I suggest they post it here, but they usually won’t go public. Oddly enough they are happy to do it in a forum which requires a substantial subscription and is thus perceived as “private” even though it uses real names and anybody can pay up and join and read all past posts and there is a past history there of big trouble as a result. And to be fair somebody who hangs out on a forum regularly can eventually work out roughly who is who, among those who write anything actually informative.

How do you get the samples to the US? When in the US I send it by regular post about $3 no hazardous nonsense.

Airmail. It’s about GBP 3. It can take between 5 days and 5 weeks, IME. This delay is a big reason for using a local company, and in the UK I have found Intertek to produce data in line with Blackstone (I posted tons of data on this here previously).

Administrator

achimha wrote:

achimha 22-Nov-15 11:18 #24
C210_Flyer wrote:
I use AOA and the little bottle and envelope just qualify as a letter, the cost from Germany is €3.45 and it takes about 5-8 days. Works every time for me.

Achim do you think this will work You can see the size of the container that Blackstone uses.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/videos.php

KHTO, LHTL

That looks big to me. My supplier has a much smaller bottle.

With the German Post, the rules are length + width + height <= 90cm, max 500g. So it will probably work fine. Just put 3,45 € in stamps on it (you can buy them online and print yourself) and put it in first yellow box you find in Germany (not the ones with the big lid on the top that have empty yoghurt cups in them). I have mailed about 20 samples so far and all of them arrived within a week plus minus a few days.

The Blackstone container is 7 × 7 × 10.5cm. I have just measured one right here.

Administrator

I get 514 Cubic cm. Achim can you take a picture and post what your sample container looks like? If not give me the size measurements?

Not too long ago I sent a very important document via DHL with tracking etc. It got lost. It seems DHL tracking stops in the US Customs Office. I dont remember who but someone probably on this site suggested I send things either UPS or Fedex into the states and DHL from the states. This way it will surely arrive. Maybe its Die Schwarze Wolke.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter’s container works for 3.45€ because 7+7+10.5 = 24.5 which is < 90.

I have never lost any shipment going to the US. If an oil sample gets lost, it won’t destroy my life.

Sign in to add your message